The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 19, 2001, 01:58 PM   #1
JGIORD

Can all shotguns shoot slugs?

Just wondering, if there needs to be a certain rating or criteria needed for a shotgun to be able to shoot slugs vs shells?

Thanks
Old October 19, 2001, 02:10 PM   #2
Benjamin

Yes, all shotguns can shoot slugs within gauge (don't shoot 20's in a 12!).

The only caveat to this is that Sabot slugs should not be fired through a tight choke (imp mod, full, X Full)
Old October 19, 2001, 02:30 PM   #3
SDC

I'd change that to "Slugs should not be fired through any shotgun with a choke tighter than Modified". When you shoot a slug through a choked bore, something has to give somewhere, whether in the slug or in the barrel, and I'd prefer it not to be in my barrel.
Old October 19, 2001, 03:13 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I'd stick to modern shotguns and open chokes for slugs, J.

A fine French SXS I had was marked, "Non Pour le Balle" for a good reason. Thin bbls and tight chokes were not the best for dealing with solid hunks of lead, and certainly not for plastic sabots that do not swage down much.

But, take this one step at a time. Get the shotgun, get used to it with light loads, and then, once somewhat proficient with good from and used to the kick, THEN go to the heavy stuff.
Old October 19, 2001, 03:23 PM   #5
JGIORD

Dave:

I am looking at either the Remi 870 HD gun or the Norinco #98. Both have cylinder bores, so correct me if I am wrong - do not have chokes.

My problem is that the range by me allows shotguns but only if you use slugs. So I need to practice with those and then tone down with buck\bird shot.
Old October 19, 2001, 03:53 PM   #6
jthuang

Yes, cylinder choke (or bore) = no choke.

HTH,

Justin
Old October 19, 2001, 09:54 PM   #7
Coronach

Don't limit yourself to the 870 HD.

The HD is just an 870 Express set up a certain way. This is called 'marketing,' or 'how to soak the buyer.' There are lots of Expresses out there that could meet your criteria that are not labeled 'HD.'

Any short-bbled Express with a cylinder bore will work just fine. How short? Look at and handle the shotgun...if it seems short and handy, it will work. At the ranges we're discussing, length of barrel will not matter much. Type of choke won't matter too much either for shot, but if you want to shoot slugs, stick to mod or cyl (this will be stamped on the barrel. If its not, ask).

If you can find a used Wingmaster for a good price, consider it. Its the same gun, just prettier. the Express is the 'economy' model, but the difference is in appearance, not anything that matters. And frankly, the matte finish of the Express is (IMO) easier to maintain and far more practical. Its also way cheaper.

Mike

PS Express vs Express Magnum: most of the ones you'll find are actually Express Magnums. This just means its set up for 3" shells. Non-magnums are limited to 2 3/4" If you get a good deal on a plain express, don't pass it up. 2 3/4" will kill things dead. The added flexibility of the 3" chamber is nice (thats why the vast majority are Express Magnums), but not absolutely required.

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old October 22, 2001, 01:23 PM   #8
Shok

Coronach makes a good point so what are you using the gun for? For hunting I would not "limit" myself with 870HD. Even for HD I would go buy an 870 express, mag extension, and smoothbore slug barrel for HD. Just swap barrels when you go hunting.

Shok

``If we moms can push 9 pound (4 kg) babies through our bodies, some of them with heads as big as bowling balls, surely we can push [gun control] legislation through the halls of Congress,'' Dees-Thomases MMM founder.

"Small arms, too, are weapons of mass destruction," Louise Frechette deputy secretary-general for the U.N. small arms conference
Old October 27, 2001, 01:34 AM   #9
sigmund

Keep in mind that some shotgun barrels are rifled, and some are not. Same with slugs. So, use non-rifled slugs in rifled barrels, rifled slugs in non-rifled barrels.
Old October 27, 2001, 10:28 PM   #10
Snow Man

So Sigmund, will it hurt to use rifled slugs in a rifled barrel? That's what I presently have on hand and was going to hunt deer this year that way. I checked, the rifling in the slugs matches the direction of the barrel rifling. Accuracy hurt with this combination?
Old October 28, 2001, 07:48 AM   #11
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Snow Man, the rifled barrels were designed for sabot slugs. It's my understanding that rifled slugs will not shoot well in a rifled barrel.

Giz
Old November 1, 2001, 05:00 PM   #12
Shok

Doesn't matter if the rifling match you'll get poor accuracty shooting rifled slugs in rifled barrel. In addition it would lead up quick and not shoot sabots accurately either.

Shok

``If we moms can push 9 pound (4 kg) babies through our bodies, some of them with heads as big as bowling balls, surely we can push [gun control] legislation through the halls of Congress,'' Dees-Thomases MMM founder.

"Small arms, too, are weapons of mass destruction," Louise Frechette deputy secretary-general for the U.N. small arms conference
Old November 2, 2001, 07:19 PM   #13
Dead

I have a mossberg with a fully rifled barrel that I have shot 1 1/4oz 2 3/4" mag Rifled Slugs out of. At 50yards I could get one ragged hole with 50 shots, while point shooting. Just make sure you snap it up into your shoulder before touching those rounds off, or you will know you did something wrong (ouch)...
Old November 3, 2001, 09:19 AM   #14
zanthope

What about buckshot out of a rifled barrel?

Will shooting buckshot - 00, field loads, etc. screw up a rifled barrel?
I have an 870 combo in layaway - the price was too good - but I couldn't get a smoothbore. I'd sure like to use some shot shells in that shorter, rifled barrel for guarding the home front.

Isn't shot enclosed in a cup?
Old November 3, 2001, 09:45 AM   #15
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Patterns with any type of shot from a fully rifled bbl tend to the horrible. Sorry....