The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 29, 2007, 09:47 PM   #1
Seancass

Traditions revolvers

shopping at sportsmans warehouse the other day, they had traditions .44 caliber revolvers for $150-200. the price is do-able for a new gun. am i going to regret spending my money? i'm sure more than a few of you have experience with these so how are they? the price range covers brass vs steel frame.
Old May 30, 2007, 08:19 AM   #2
mykeal

Traditions imports Pietta revolvers

Assuming you are talking about the 1858 Remington New Army:

The price range is good for a new gun; Arms 2 Armor sells the Traditions 1858 Remington for $193 in brass frame and $213 in steel, plus shipping of course.

Traditions imports and distributes Pietta guns, so that's probably what they are. Look for the Pietta logo: a diamond with the letters FAP inside, either under the loading lever or on the frame.

Pietta has a spotty quality record, although the anecdotal evidence seems to say that they are doing much better lately. I'd say that you have little to lose at those prices as long as they are relatively recent manufacture. There should be a date code stamp on the right side of the frame; two capital letters in a square box. BW is 2004, BZ is 2005, CA is 2006 and CB is 2007; all should be ok, with preference for CA and CB. Just my opinion based on forum postings; all my Piettas are much older - late 70's/early 80's- except one 2001 gun that is frankly not up to standard.

Check it out carefully before taking it home. Be sure it's not loose, that everything locks up just as it is fully cocked and when the hammer is down. There should be no "end shake" (cylinder end play) when in battery or with the hammer down. Another interesting complaint about Piettas during their "quality challenge" was that the barrel was not on straight; sight down the barrel carefully to see if that seems to be on straight (you may not be able to tell). And don't be afraid to ask if you can return it if it's not up to snuff when you get it home and check it out.
Old May 31, 2007, 06:20 PM   #3
Seancass

thats pretty much what i wanted to know. these guns should be brand new. but i'll shop for used before i buy. thanks for the info.