The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 21, 2005, 06:17 PM   #1
fiVe

Tactical Light Stamina

For all those who use tactical flashlights (surefire, streamlight, brinkmann, etc.) on a frequent basis:

How well does your light hold up? Has anyone worn out a switch? How long do bulbs/batteries last under frequent usage?

I recently purchased a Brinkmann MaxFire that I am liking more and more each day. The advantage of having a good light is obvious. I won't be using it on a frequent basis, but I was wondering how long the bulb/batteries would last?

I would be very interested in stories about how your tactical light has performed over time.

Thanks,
fiVe
Old March 21, 2005, 06:47 PM   #2
SpectreBlofeld

Nice flashlight.
Old April 1, 2005, 01:31 PM   #3
alpineman

I have a Streamlight Scorpion mounted on my AR-15, and I'm happy with it. I shoot mostly with a .22 lr conversion kit, and the light holds up well. I can't say how well it would do with lots of .223 fired with it. The Scorpion uses lithium batteries, so it's really bright, but battery life isn't the best. The only problem I've encountered is the bulb falls out of the housing sometimes, but that may be due more to user error when I replaced the bulb.
Old April 2, 2005, 01:49 AM   #4
RCPractitioner

I have one of those as well and it is as bright as my surefire, thats a great flashlight for the money! If you end up getting addicted to the lithium lights as I have make sure you buy lots of backup batteries they start getting dim after about 30 minutes of continuous use. I found a 12v lithium battery (uses 4 of those lithium batteries vs. 2) powered light in the sportsman guide catalog for $50!!
Old April 2, 2005, 02:21 AM   #5
woodland

I have a Surefire Nitrolon, and I got the rechargable set up for it. I use it at work a lot. It will run about 20 to 30 minutes on a charge with the 65 lumin lamp. I love it. As for endurance, I can't count the number of times it has been dropped on the concrete floor. Falling out of a pocket, or getting knocked off a work bench or something. Used it from 100* down to -10*, and have never had a problem. I have had it about two and a half years, and it is still on the first bulb. Same battery, also. I charge it about 3 to 4 times a week, sometimes more, and haven't noticed a drop in run time yet. Only thing I don't like, is they don't make a LED head for it.
Old April 2, 2005, 07:32 AM   #6
smince

I have a 2 Surefire 6P's, a TACM III, a Tac-Star(on my 870), and a knock-off I bought on E-bay. None have ever had to have bulbs(had the 6P's for about 7-8 years). Battery life depends on use. With the lithium you can leave it for extended periods of time and it will work when you pick it up. Run time for mine is average around 30 minutes. I test flash mine once every week or so, though, just to make sure. and like someone said, keep extra batteries. The lithium are $10 for two at Walmart, but Surefire sells a bulk pack that will save you money if you can afford to spend $75 on batteries at one time.
Old April 2, 2005, 08:37 AM   #7
stephen426

Don't laugh but I carry a Mag Light Mini (2AA batteries). The light isn't that powerful but it gets the job done. The Mini Maglight is pretty cheap (under $10) and the AA batteries are a lot cheaper than the lithiums. The run time is also a lot longer. It doesn't have the push button tail cap but the light is focusable. The main reason I carry it is I can use it as a kubaton when I can't carry a gun or a knife! You can't crack a skull with that puppy and you can carry it anywhere (airports, airplane, otherwise sterile environments).