The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 13, 2004, 07:54 AM   #1
popax3

help for novice

Hi all. New here. Ready to get into clay shooting first time (basically). Owned and fired small bore firearms all my life. Owned 1 20 ga (low end Mossberg). It kicked more than I liked. Considering a 28 ga.(?) I like things about a double b, over under, & semi. Prefer lighter weight with some engraving. Less than $1000 used or new. Will the shell price ever come down?
Thanks
Old October 13, 2004, 09:59 AM   #2
Clemson

The rap on the 28 gauge is certainly the shell price. It won't get any better because there is not enough volume to bring the price down. It's that old price-elasticity-of-demand thing. You might try a gas operated 20 gauge before you make your final choice. The recoil of a Remington 1100 in 20 gauge is MUCH lower than that of a lightweight pump or O/U gun in the same gauge. For that matter, the recoil of a gas-operated 12 gauge is very manageable also (about the same as that of the 20). The 12 just tends to weigh a pound and a half more.

In 28 gauge guns, the most reasonable gun for less than $1000 is probably the Remington Sporting Clays model 1100. It runs around $729. The Ruger O/U gun can be had for around $1000, and it is a good looking little piece.

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old October 13, 2004, 07:32 PM   #3
popax3

Thanks for the helpful info. I would rather go 20 ga. if I can get a more comfortable recoil. How does the gas operated system work? And is the Remington 1100 in 20 ga that you mentioned gas op?
Old October 13, 2004, 08:27 PM   #4
scottys1

Yes, Remington 1100's are gas operated and would be an excellent choice for your use.
You stated that you prefer lighter guns, but the lighter a gun is the more it will recoil. There are other ways of reducing recoil such as recoil pads, barrel porting, or mercury tubes.
If you can, see if you can try different guns before you make a final choice. Most shooters are very friendly and will gladly fill your ears with advice. I shot my first round of trap courtesy of a nice man who lent me his gun, supplied a box of ammo (his own handloads), and even paid the fee (he wouldn't have it any other way). I was instantly hooked. I have my own shotguns, but I was at the club for some pistol practice. After I was done, I walked over to watch the trapshooters do their thing. I got to talking with some of the people and ended up with a new addiction.
Old October 13, 2004, 09:03 PM   #5
kudu

Welcome popax3,

May I suggest getting a 12gauge in a Beretta 391, Win SX2 or a Remington 11-87. If you are just getting into clays these guns are very user friendly and with light target loads will recoil less that a 20ga.

This summer I introduced a pair of novice shooters to skeet, a father and 12 year old son who wanted to do somthing together. The boy was afraid of the 12 gauge because the 20 ga he had shot before really kicked him. After explaining weight verses recoil I got him to shoot my 11-87 with my 1oz handloads. I could tell he was tense when he pulled the trigger. He looked at me and said. "Wow, that hardly kicked at all compared to the 20 ga I shot at so and so's house."

The 12ga has so many more options in shells to choose from over the 20ga. Don't get me wrong, I shoot the 28ga and 20ga a lot more than my 12's, but for variety of loads you can't beat the 12ga.
Old October 13, 2004, 09:47 PM   #6
User Name

Yes the sad thing for the 28 is definatly shell price. The even worse thing is this is the come down price. I've had my 28 sine the early 80's and in the mid 90's a box of shells was almost 3 times a box of 12. A revival so to speak of skeet, trap, and clays brought the price down some (although still high) at least thats what happened in my area. Clemson is also right about the lighter guns. My franchi (how do you say that plural??) kick way more than my other shotguns. I have one in 28, 20, and 12. I personaly love 'em, but they aren't for everybody. If I was buying for your application and given the K or less criteria, I'd prolly go with a Charles Daly field hunter in 20 gauge.
"Whenever Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins. This was actually done by Great Britain at the commencement of the late revolution."
Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts - 1789

GUN CONTROL....IT'S NOT A NEW IDEA......JUST A BAD ONE!
Old October 14, 2004, 07:59 AM   #7
K80Geoff

If you are going to shoot 28 ga, buy an O/U (Or SXS if so inclined) and a MEC reloader

The O/U allows you to save the hulls and reloading makes the shooting cheaper....OK it allows you to shoot more for the same amount of money

The little Ruger is a great gun, check for a used gun at local R&G clubs.