The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 31, 2013, 04:11 PM   #1
x-five

Damascus steel frame Sig P226 x-five

Do you have any thoughts or imaginations about it? It's my dream gun and I just have the exact ammount ( 20K) for it. I will order it from Sig's custom shop in Germany. Maybe you can talk me out of this, if you know better pistols for such a prise and practical use.
Old January 31, 2013, 09:04 PM   #2
bac1023

I'm happy with my standard X-Five L1. I'm not a big fan of damascus steel.

You can buy a lot of high end guns with that money.
Old January 31, 2013, 09:20 PM   #3
Rinspeed

Quote:
I just have the exact ammount ( 20K)

Not sure what you're asking.
Old January 31, 2013, 09:28 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

While I really like Damascus, I would not drop $20K on a gun. If I really wanted something in Damascus, I'd opt for a nice knife. At least that is something you can get daily use out of.

Of course if money is no object..... Buy me one while you are it. A Damascus Sig has always been my dream gun too.

And no, you do not have to spend $20K to get a reliable and accurate gun.
Old January 31, 2013, 10:02 PM   #5
Walt Sherrill

Except for bragging rights (for the "purtiest" gun around) I don't know what you'd gain by having a Damascus Steel-framed handgun -- certainly no enhanced functionality. (I haven't seen pictures, yet -- but maybe the slide is Damascus steel?)

A first class engraving job could be just as pretty -- and probably be less costly ... but even that seems a bit like gilding the lily, when it's the stuff inside that really counts.

I'd just send the gun to Bruce Gray and tell him to make it purr...

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; February 1, 2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old January 31, 2013, 11:19 PM   #6
Munkster

never heard of it can you post a link to it i sure would like to see it. And no for that money i would buy something fully auto or get a regular p226 and get it ingraved
Old January 31, 2013, 11:34 PM   #7
Chinny33

$20k? really

its a fantastic gun, but there is better.

Custom SVI Infinity 1911 for ~$4,000 gets you the best competition grade gun money can buy.
Proverbs 27:12
Old February 1, 2013, 12:05 PM   #8
dayman

Just buy the standard x5 and tell everyone you had the nitron put on to protect the Damascus. Then buy a boat to keep it in.
Old February 1, 2013, 12:10 PM   #9
Dragline45

Quote:
It's my dream gun and I just have the exact ammount ( 20K) for it.
So you are going to spend your entire savings on one gun? Sorry but that's foolish. No new production handgun in my mind is worth $20,000.

Quote:
if you know better pistols for such a prise and practical use.
For practical use get a regular X-Five. There is no practical use for a $20,000 handgun except sitting in a safe.
Old February 1, 2013, 12:12 PM   #10
AndyWest

Is this a real thing? Are we talking about a P226 with a slide made of Damascus steel, like in the classical sense?
Old February 1, 2013, 12:49 PM   #11
Skans

I can't even find a picture of one. I have to wonder why anyone would make a gun out of damascus steel. It might make for an interesting design, but I highly doubt that it makes the gun any stronger.....probably weaker, if anything. Besides, you can find all kinds of decent sized billets of damascus selling in the $100 range. Even if the amount needed for a gun frame and slide is 10 times the amount, that's still only $1000 for materials. I don't know how anyone could justify a price of $20,000.
Old February 1, 2013, 01:53 PM   #12
BigJimP

What's wrong with the L-1 version of the X-Five...??? - at around $ 3K ...??

Here is mine in .40S&W...( I've had it for several yrs - nice gun ! ).

SIG X-Five .40 S&W.jpg

----------------
Damascus slide or frame, makes no sense to me ...I'm wondering if someone is "trolling"....
Old February 1, 2013, 03:28 PM   #13
RobertInIowa

Own one just like ^^^^^. Love the gun. Not sure what good the damascus would do though.
Old February 1, 2013, 07:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-five
Do you have any thoughts or imaginations about it? It's my dream gun and I just have the exact ammount ( 20K) for it. I will order it from Sig's custom shop in Germany. Maybe you can talk me out of this, if you know better pistols for such a prise and practical use.
If you have the money and the desire, go for it.

Having that sort of disposable income on my hands, I'd probably go a different route- a brand new SIG P210...OK, maybe two....

Get what makes you happy.
Old February 2, 2013, 10:09 PM   #15
treg

Is it really your dream gun or are you after the damascus steel frame?

Seems like possibly one could commission a damascus 1911 frame (or some other ???) from a shop here in the states for a true one of a kind purchase.

OTOH, if it is your dream go for it. Permission granted only under the condition of you MUST shoot it. AND you MUST post pics, lots of them, and a range report for your friends here at TFL.
Old February 2, 2013, 11:42 PM   #16
Yung.gunr

I sure as heck wouldn't spend all that on one gun.

A good alternative would be a nice custom shop Sig with Damascus grips and a custom Damascus knife to match. Then you would probably have enough for another high end gun or two and a couple cases of ammo.

That's just me.... I don't know what I would do if I had $20k to spend on something like a gun.

Ooooo... Or maybe a nice full auto with a couple cases of ammo to blow through in a couple hours. I still doubt if I would get that though... $20k is a lot of dough to me, I couldn't bring myself to be "frivolous" with it. If you are able to luck dog...
Old February 3, 2013, 12:12 AM   #17
Rinspeed

Quote:
A good alternative would be...

A good alternative would be to know what the hell the OP is talking about.
Old February 3, 2013, 12:12 PM   #18
x-five

Well, I did not order that gun, but bought a basic x-five L1. In a few weeks I will get a rhodium plating and then send it to Germany to get engraving and custom ivory grips. Thanks for all your kind responses in this topic.
Old February 3, 2013, 01:21 PM   #19
BigJimP

Its your money and you can do what you want....

but you bought an all stainless L-1 model of the X-Five ...( and now you want it plated ...and take the wood NIL grips off - and go with something slippery like Ivory...or fake ivory or whatever....)...

Ok ....???
-------------
I like my X-Five L-1 model as is ...in .40S&W..../ and its probably in the top 5 guns in my safe....but my top 5 guns, I have are:

a. Wilson Combat Protector Model, 5" 1911 , in 9mm....
b. Wilson Combat CQB model, 5" 1911, in .45 acp...
c. Freedom Arms single action revolver, 4 3/4" octagonal barrel in .357 mag
d. S&W model 27-1 4" Nickel revolver in .357 mag....
e. Sig X-Five L-1 model in .40S&W....
( and if I add another Wilson 1911 --- or another Freedom Arms --and I already have quite a few other S&W revolvers ...the X-Five might not even make the top 5 of my guns...)...
Old February 3, 2013, 01:28 PM   #20
Rinspeed

Quote:
Well, I did not order that gun,

Order it from where? Never heard of such an animal and would like to see some pics. Do you have a link.
Old February 3, 2013, 04:31 PM   #21
Dragline45

Quote:
Well, I did not order that gun, but bought a basic x-five L1. In a few weeks I will get a rhodium plating and then send it to Germany to get engraving and custom ivory grips. Thanks for all your kind responses in this topic.
Just interested, why would you get a stainless pistol rhodium plated? It is not going to look much different at all, and it will be no more rust resistant than before. And I agree with BigJimP, Nil grips are some of the best on the market, if you plan on shooting the gun keep them and forget about ivory. Ivory grips are kind of tacky in my opinion too. As far as engraving, again I have to ask, why Germany? There are plenty of good engravers in the states without having to deal with shipping a pistol internationally. Unless you like wasting your own money, skip the rhodium plating, don't get your gun engraved all the way in Germany, and keep the Nil grips.

Last edited by Dragline45; February 3, 2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old February 3, 2013, 04:38 PM   #22
RamItOne

nobody has realized this is a joke yet?

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old February 3, 2013, 05:19 PM   #23
chris in va

Heck for that sort of coin you could get a nice MP5.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:23 PM   #24
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinspeed View Post
Order it from where? Never heard of such an animal and would like to see some pics. Do you have a link.
I agree Jeff

I'm about to call BS on this whole thread. When I google it, all that comes up is this thread. I'm not sure why a Damascus X Five would cost $20k anyway.

Last edited by bac1023; February 3, 2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:31 PM   #25
Auto426

Quote:
I'm about to call BS on this whole thread. I'm not sure why a Damascus X Five would cost $20k anyway.
I agree. Google did not turn up a single result of a damascus Sig 226, and I don't see why someone would take a stainless gun and have it played in something fragile and silver in color like rhodium.