The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 10, 2011, 10:28 AM   #1
higgite

"FC" vs ".FC." 9mm brass

I have used some once fired Federal 9mm brass headstamped "FC" and have been happy with it. My normal supplier is out of stock of the "FC", but has some ".FC." (dot FC dot) in stock. I haven't used any brass with that headstamp. I called Federal and asked about the difference in brass headstamped "FC" or ".FF." The rep told me that they are identical except those without the dots were made in their Minnesota plant and those with the dots were made in their Idaho plant. Any user experience comparing the two as far as case size, primer pocket size, number of reloads, etc? Are they truly identical? If you use them both, do you or would you intermingle the two headstamps? This is for plinking/practice ammo.

Last edited by higgite; October 10, 2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old October 10, 2011, 10:46 AM   #2
Scimmia

I use both and haven't noticed any difference. I wondered if there would be a quality problem since the stuff with the dots seems to be made specifically for the cheap Wal-Mart ammo, but so far I haven't hit the limit on either type of case after a good number of loadings.
Old October 10, 2011, 02:29 PM   #3
Hammerhead

Can't answer your question, but thanks for the info. I've been using the plain FC brass for my match grade 9mm loads, and it has been very consistent. I didn't use the .FC. brass because I didn't know what it was.
Thanks.

For plinking/practice I don't think it would do any harm to mix them, people use mixed head stamps all the time with 9mm, and the two varieties of FC brass are probably closer to each other than mixed brands.

Last edited by Hammerhead; October 10, 2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old October 10, 2011, 05:54 PM   #4
capreppy

They may have minor differences just because it is two different plants, but I've reloaded thousands multiple times and I've not encountered any issues with them.
Old October 10, 2011, 10:40 PM   #5
Sevens

There is definitely a difference in the brass... the dot-FC-dot brass is extruded and likely comes out of the exact same machine that spits out all CCI, Speer and Blazer headstamped 9mm brass.

The FC stuff is a more standard brass like we've grown used to seeing.

Is there a difference in case capacity or could you notice a difference in shooting them? I would doubt it, simply because we are talking about 9mm handgun here... but I suppose it's possible.
Old November 9, 2011, 08:21 PM   #6
npederse

Quote:
There is definitely a difference in the brass... the dot-FC-dot brass is extruded and likely comes out of the exact same machine that spits out all CCI, Speer and Blazer headstamped 9mm brass.

The FC stuff is a more standard brass like we've grown used to seeing.
Correct - the Idaho plant is where they make CCI, Speer and Blazer rounds; they'll do the overruns for the Federal. The Minnesota plant is Federal Cartridge.