The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 26, 2006, 06:49 AM   #1
mjrodney

Small quantity metering of powder

I'm currently throwing 2.3 grains of Clays out of a Lee Pro Auto Disk measure, and more than a few are coming up short.

I find myself repeatedly tapping the supply tank to help things along.

Is there another brand of powder that will meter better out of this set up?
Old May 26, 2006, 08:27 AM   #2
Leftoverdj

I don't use Clays, but ball powders are the only way to go for very small charges. The MicroDisk Kit works a lot better than the adjustable bar at the low end, although you are limited by the available cavities. I've taken to using the slower powders that are suitable because it's much easier to meter 3 grains than 2. The AA line is working pretty well for me.
Old May 26, 2006, 09:01 AM   #3
Rimrod

Make sure the disk is travelling the full distance front to back. Mine was binding up and throwing light charges too. It is now sleeping in the basement. Forever.
Old May 26, 2006, 10:26 AM   #4
nurseman

You can not get a good meter from any measure for an amount less than 2 grains. Most measures are only good at be st for + or - 0.2 grains so you are risking a 10 % OVERCHARGE with the best BR equipment. I agree with the above poster, IMHO you need to switch to a powder with a charge of greator than 4 grains to reduce the chance of error. I have used the lee disc and Dillon and Hornady measures and I would ot do a charge that smal even with My Hornady with the 0- 10 grain micrometer.

BTW win 231 will meter the best with your Lee disk , It may not be as clean as Clays but clean is secondary to safe.
Old May 26, 2006, 10:41 AM   #5
Ruger4570

I agree with the above posts and also suggest you get a bulkier powder than Clays.Personally, I like to use a powder that fills the case at least halfway. In the "unlikely" event of a double charge it is going to be real apparent. I too use a lot of "ball powders" as they meter so well.
Old May 26, 2006, 11:11 AM   #6
Leftoverdj

With the MicroDisk kit, AA-5 throws as accurately as my scale can measure in the 3 grain range. The Pro version hangs up a lot less than the basic AutoDisk, but still needs an eye kept on it.

I've converted an AutoDisk to manual operation which eliminates hangups. That only required discarding the spring and silversoldering an extension rod onto the operating lever.
Old May 26, 2006, 01:49 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Given the limitations for conventional measures cited above, I think this is a case where a powder scoop will serve you better. I remember years ago my dad was experimenting with light .32 gallery loads firing 00 buck. About a grain and a half of Bullseye, or some such. He soldered a bent paperclip around the extractor groove of a fired .25 ACP case, then filed the case down to measure the charge he wanted. Slower than a measure, but functional.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 26, 2006, 02:47 PM   #8
amamnn

small charges

I have had pretty good results loading small charges from my lee pro auto disk since I did 3 things:
1. installed the adjustable charge bar.
2. sprinkled a TINy bit of fine ground mica on all the surfaces where parts move against each other and worked it in.
3. bought and installed an RCBS powder baffle in both my RCBS powder measure and my Lee pro. I had to open the baffle up a bit to work in the Lee, but once it was in there properly, it helped a lot. RCBS says that the baffle helps by reducing the tendency of lighter powders to bridge.

The lightest charge I have used is 3.2 grains. I got consitency and accuracy in the drops that no one believes until they see it done.