The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 9, 1999, 09:15 PM   #1
Hueco

...are they any good. Kinda pricey -- are they worth it? If not, what is for about the same amount of money? Thanks.

Hueco
Old December 9, 1999, 10:45 PM   #2
Wingspan

I have the one designed to hold 4 rifles. I not impressed by the quality of the locks, but the rest is pretty good.
Old December 10, 1999, 01:43 AM   #3
house

I use them for my shotguns.They are rugged but like wingspan said locks are kinda chessy. They are airline sproved if you plan takeing your guns on the plane. Buy so far they are great i have had mine for 3 years now.
Old December 10, 1999, 02:16 PM   #4
DblTap

SKB makes a very good gun case. I have two of their double rifle cases and they contain my most expensive weapons. Most SWAT and SRT teams use them to haul their tactical long guns around.

I'll mention one other thing about the locks. Yes, they are not the best in the world, but there are 4 of them on the full size rifle case. I have broken one on a case that was about five years old and they sent me a replacement lock for free. The case is designed so that the locks can be replaced in the field, as long as you have access to the inside.

DblTap

------------------
"...What will you do without freedom? Will you fight?... Fight, and you may die, run and you'll live, at least a while. And dying, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that, for just one chance, one chance, to tell our enemies, that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!!!"

[This message has been edited by DblTap (edited December 10, 1999).]
Old December 10, 1999, 05:53 PM   #5
Hueco

Thanks fellas. I think I will go ahead and invest in the double-rifle. Took a serious look at one today and I am impressed. Seems worth the money. I mean...I am going to be putting my baby in there!!

Hueco
Old December 13, 1999, 12:01 PM   #6
BMP556NATO1/9HBAR

I also considered the SKB ( I have owned one of their guitar cases for 7 years ),but ended up buying a DEE-ZEE Brite-Tread instead.
More $ than the SKB,but IMHO,worth every penny.
One thing 2 keep in mind- The case weighs 24 pounds (40 pounds with my DPMS Super Bull 20"!),so it aint for the weak among us.

BMP
Old December 13, 1999, 04:01 PM   #7
Sea Bass

I have the SKB double rifle case. Have to agree that the lock latches are kind of lacking. But overall, the case is well built and worth the money.