The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 13, 2016, 10:40 AM   #1
Brando1992

Coated lead bullets for glock

I am looking at buying a box of 500 bullets to start load development on for my glock 34, I am very interested in buying coated cast lead bullets instead of berrys plated.

Does anyone have any experience with plated bullets in a glock?

I am thinking about trying precision bullets. has anyone tried them out in a glock? They seem to have the best shipping price.

I don't want to order more than 500 since these will be used for my first time reloading. because i am ordering a relatively small amount shipping is a big consideration.

I am also interested in ACME which I've heard good things about from guys on this site.

Also what is the groove for on some of the bullets I've seen?

Thanks for all the help!
Q:Are you using sarcasm? A: Is the Pope Catholic?
Old June 13, 2016, 04:44 PM   #2
Damon555

Straight from Glock

Quote:
Can I use lead bullets?
No, we recommend the use of jacketed ammunition only.
https://us.glock.com/customer-service/faq
Old June 13, 2016, 05:54 PM   #3
45_auto

Also straight from Glock:

https://us.glock.com/customer-service/faq

Quote:
What kind of ammunition should I use in my Glock pistol?
Do not use reloaded, remanufactured, or handloaded ammunition because it may not meet applicable SAAMI, CIP or NATO standards and could cause death, serious personal injury, or property damage. Only use high quality commercially manufactured ammunition in the same caliber as your Glock pistol. (Note: Use of reloaded, remanufactured, or handloaded ammunition will void the warranty).
Since you're already going against the Glock gospel (gasp! horrors!) by shooting handloaded reloads, you might as well use the cheaper coated bullets.

From Bayou Bullets (coated lead):

http://www.bayoubullets.net/categori...r-bullets.html

Quote:
They are completely safe to use in Glock's polygonal rifled barrels
Or you can believe Precision Bullets:

http://precisionbullets.com/faq/

Quote:
Can I use Precision Bullets in my Glock?

Yes and No. We have many Glock shooters using Precision Bullets in factory Glock barrels with great results. However, I tell all Glock shooters it is try and see. If you have tried plated bullets and accuracy was good without keyholeing, then ours should be fine. If you have tried traditional cast lead bullets and accuracy was good after 200+ rounds without heavy fouling, then our bullets will work fine and shoot a lot cleaner.
But I've only been shooting uncoated lead through about a dozen different Glocks for the past 20 years (4 classes each for my son and I at GSSF events), and just started using the coated bullets a year or so ago. What do I know?
Old June 13, 2016, 08:20 PM   #4
5whiskey

I've shot plenty of cast, uncoated, out of polygonal rifling. Clean the bore often and thoroughly. Keep an eye out for pressure signs at first and check your bore frequently. I do believe that manufacturers made the recommendation to not shoot lead out of polygonal rifling for a reason, so be careful and tread lightly to begin with. Once you know how it performs in your gun, then you can let yourmhair down. BTW, I think the warning has more to do with user error and neglected maintenance... But still clean the bore often and thoroughly until you know how it behaves. That would be proper user Maintenance in the first place.
Old June 14, 2016, 01:47 AM   #5
trublu

I've shot many thousands of reloaded lead projectiles through my glock 34. Seems to like 135gr LRN best.
Old June 14, 2016, 05:00 AM   #6
mannyCA

I have also shot thousands of precisions black moly coated bullets through my glock with no problems with stock and aftermarket wolf, kkm barrels In 9mm and 1911 45,
But thats my experience.
shoot with confidence my friend.
Old June 14, 2016, 08:52 AM   #7
Chainsaw.

I cast, coat and size my own, runthem through a 19 with no issues. Pne swipe with a brush and the bore is like shiney new.