The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 17, 2012, 12:18 PM   #26
OutlawJoseyWales

Man O Man, you just made my day (little Dirty Harry lingo there) I thought I had at least 2 or every Josey Wales picture out there...and here you come with this beauty. I copied that puppy to My Pics faster than a Road Agent's Spin or if you prefer-faster than a Border Roll

In the Movie, Clint is so awesome, he doesn't even need sites on the end of them ol' hog legs to knock men down at 50 yards, he's that good. But holding up 2 Walkers all day filming? that's pretty tough stuff.

Bill, it's obvious that Van Damme's pistols are not Walkers. Just wondering what the idea was to use this particular model? I think they look like Brassers to me, but other guys here say that's just the lights. I don't know, but it is great to see them on camara anyway, I reckon so.

Take Care,
OJW
Old April 17, 2012, 12:22 PM   #27
Bill Akins

Now spit. (As the old Indian said to Josey) Lol.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old April 17, 2012, 03:40 PM   #28
Hawg

Quote:
I thought I had at least 2 or every Josey Wales picture out there.
Have you seen this one? It's one of the few where you can tell the one in the shoulder holster is for sure a 49 pocket.
Old April 17, 2012, 04:19 PM   #29
OutlawJoseyWales

Great pic, and you are right about that.

Saw the movie back in '76 when it came out and just got to be one of my favorite things. It was my freshman year in college, so there were a number of things that got added to that list.
Old April 17, 2012, 06:09 PM   #30
prof marvel

Bill Akins wrote:
>Whoever wrote that Van Damme was using Walkers doesn't know what they
> are talking about....
>How could IMFDB be so sloppy ignorant as to call Van Damme's G&G's or
>Leech and Rigdon's as Walkers? I am tired of movie people and writers being
> ignorant and lacking in proper research.

I too noted that Van Damme appeared to have G&G or L&R based on a number of video snips.

Over a month ago, I pointed this out to the guy at IMFDB who wrote the article (an admin BTW), and I was ignored.

I obtained a login and corrected the article, siting supportive evidence & photos. For my efforts, the article was reverted and I was permanently banned as a troll!

I protested politely and in detail to another admin (the eldest on the site by his own admission ~ 40 ish) and was still ignored.

I can only conclude that the IMFDB is being run by a band of youngsters whose expertise amounts to some modern weapons and 'Net searches. I have found other entries in the IMFDB that contradict the defintive entries by industry experts in "Janes", but I no longer care.

I have decided to adopt the approach of "Mind Over Matter" -
I don't mind, 'cuz they don't matter.
“you may find you will have a more harmonious outcome.”
Old April 18, 2012, 05:50 PM   #31
Bill Akins

I know what you're saying ProfMarvel. But the only problem with ignoring them is that they then disseminate wrong information to others who might believe what they read because they don't know better. I laud you for trying to correct their error and hold them in contempt for banning you for doing so.

Now of course a technically incorrect article by some ignorant writer who by inference claims to know guns, but actually doesn't, giving the public wrong information, is not going to highly impact our country, raise taxes or impact the price of gas. But still....we should as you did, take every opportunity to correct misstatements by people writing about guns. Most importantly so when it comes to refuting anti-gunners. It may seem like a small and perceived as unimportant in the instance of were they Colt Walkers, or were they G&G's or L&R's, but misinformation is misinformation and when it comes to misinformation being written about guns, we should always strive to correct that.

What's that old saying? "The only thing necessary for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing".

You're a good man ProfMarvel because at least you tried to do something to correct it.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old April 21, 2012, 05:31 PM   #32
BerdanSS

Hollywood "movie people" pick firearms purely for the look of the gun itself.... nothing more. That was the only reason the "agents" in the Matrix had 50AE Desert Eagles over say....a Ruger P85. because of the "Impressive on screen dynamic of the firearm" as the director put it.

I saw the jacket of some B (or more like C) action movie at the local video store last week; with the guy on the cover stoically aiming his Beretta 96G Elite....with the slide release in the "un-locked" position and the slide about two inches forward on the frame! Yeesh... you'd think QC would catch that before the photo was approved for production.

Wonder is Van Dame with load those suckers with lead balls and a powder flask while under fire I won't be wasting money going to see it so I'll never know, but I'm betting he'll just shoot about 5000 rounds out of it without so much as unlatching the loading levers