The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 17, 2009, 06:12 AM   #1
bmc70k

rem 7615 lefty

any left handed rem 7615/7600 owners able to tell if when the shell ejects it hits you in the face????
Old March 28, 2009, 05:12 PM   #2
WW2

first attempt firing 7615 left handed

I picked up my 7615 a couple of weeks ago. As always, I decided to buy some snap caps to practice loading, "firing" and cycling the rifle. I am a far better shot left handed and this rifle feels very natural mounted left handed.

When I racked it the snap caps flew several feet to the right and cleared me with no problem. Never did the "shell" come near me.

Unfortunatley, it failed to eject at first. After some research I realized I was not being aggressive enough with the action, so I tried again much more agressively. It now ejected about 75% of the time with failure to feed from the magazine about 50% of the time.

I took it to the shop where I purchased it and they thought it was either the snap caps or the magazine. Since they also sell LEO firearms they had a 20 round AR15 mag and tried the gun with my snap caps and the AR15 mag. Very agressive cycling proved that it was still having ejection and feeding problems. Turns out the bolt was not fully retracting so it could not pick the next round out of the mag. This was also related to the failure to eject (boy do I hate double feeds!) So off it went for repairs under warranty.

When I get it back (next week) I will be able to finally take it out to the range to fire real shells rather than snap caps. I will let you know how it works then.

Last edited by WW2; March 28, 2009 at 05:14 PM. Reason: typographical error
Old May 4, 2009, 02:50 PM   #3
WW2

Finally got it out on the range!

Well, I finally got the rifle back from warranty repair and was able to take it out on the range.

I put 40 rounds of PMO .223 FMJ 55gr.

All 40 feed, fired and ejected with only one failure to feed (I did not fully close the bolt so this was my fault, not the rifle).

Most important, the ejected brass cleared me with no problems from both a standing and seated firing position. Shooting this rifle left handed is no problem!