The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 26, 2015, 08:36 PM   #1
Sea Buck

Deer Blind for Disabled Hunter

An old friend and hunting buddy has been diagnosed with a debilitating condition. He is slowly loosing balance, coordination, muscle tone, and loves to hunt. While at the deer camp recently, while he was out, it was mentioned about building a blind for him. Large enough for 2-3 hunters, gear, and a heater. I saw in another thread the Taj Mahal of all pole blinds, does't have to be like that. Does anyone have any ideas/plans that they would like to share. I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Old November 27, 2015, 08:28 AM   #2
Panfisher

I help at a hunt for disabled hunters each year and one of the main things with the blinds seems to be placing it where the hunter can still access it. They have some placed where the hunter can literally be driven right up to it and unloaded and the guided then drives the vehicle out. Works well, other locations have to walk a little bit depending on the hunter and their capabilities it works well. If his condition is going to steadily get worse location and placement are going to be very important, having to climb a ladder or up a lot of steps is going to be a bad thing. Elevation is good where possible but be careful about having them climb steps and no ladder at all. Useable ones I have seen for the purpose were basically 4x8 sheds with sliding windows, elevated slightly, with a ramp to access it (think wheelchair type ramp) with asphalt shingles nailed on the ramp for traction. This may sound a little silly but if you can buy a small wodden shed with a floor in it and either have it placed or place it yourself with a tractor on a slightly elevation platform then build the ramp to it, and windows etc at shooting height, camo paint it and leave it there, won't take long for deer to forget about it. The hunter and one other person is plenty, if help is needed it is a phone call away to the other hunters. It is an awesome thing you guys are wanting to do, and you may find out that you will be arguing over who get to guide him.
Old November 27, 2015, 10:55 AM   #3
Sea Buck

Thanks for the response Panfisher. Some good thoughts there. I did a search and came up with photos of a dozen or so from many threads. Mostly pole blinds, but it does not have to be high off the ground. There are a couple in the Taj Mahal category and very elaborate. We're all in our mid 70's so this will be a project we can all share in as the ladder stands are getting steeper.
Thanks again as you were the only responder to my query.
Old November 27, 2015, 11:48 AM   #4
jmr40

I'm 57, and in very good condition. But even I no longer climb trees. I'd construct a ground blind. Or even invest in one of the tent type ground blinds that can be portable.
Old November 27, 2015, 01:05 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

The tent type ground blinds start at $60 in Cabela's. Plan 'B' is a roll of burlap from a garden centre and some sticks.
Old November 27, 2015, 03:52 PM   #6
Panfisher

SeaBuck I understand the changes, I am only 49 but this last year went through some life changing medical drama, found out a couple weeks ago that the climb up my ladder stand was almost not doable anymore, almost couldn't bend my knees enough to make that final transition, going down cold and stiff was worse. Spend the next morning sitting in a lawn chair instead. My wife has the nice mostly enclosed stand I built for her, but am seriously considering building one for myself, but normally I don't shoot much until she is done so I may just use hers again. Some of the ground tent type blinds are not very roomy, and still difficult for a mobility impaired person to get into, (bending back and knees can be tough), plus they don't provide a stable rest to rest rifle on, and don't heat well. One that can be left year round is a lot better. Maybe its time to bring in a newer member (read as younger) and as part of his/her apprenticeship they get to help build the blind and lift heavy stuff. Another suggestion is unless you buy a pre-made one, you might consider going cheap the first year to see what modifications you want to make. Something just don't jump out at you at first, i.e. door width, i build my wifes with a narrow door, heck you just go in and out, but put a pair of insulated bibbers, sling a rifle over yours shoulder, or as my wife said "if you had hips and a big butt you would have made the door wider". Yes Ma'am is the only response to that. m Oh and any of the nice pole type blinds 20 feet in the air can be done exactly the same only closer to the ground, I think my wife is 4-5 feet up but on a slight rise, she killed a deer within 30 yards of her blind this year and I had an 8 pt buck nearly stick his nose in because saw me move. Also food plots out in the shooting zone and or mineral licks, feeders whatever the state law allows helps to bring deer into range.
Old November 27, 2015, 04:10 PM   #7
NoSecondBest

Check out the Double Bull blinds. They cost a bit more but are lifetime guaranteed and come in a lot of different configurations. They have one model the is really easy to get into, the whole corner opens as a door. They have a ground flap to help seal out drafts and are easily heated. I'm in reasonably good shape for my age and still use a lot of ladder stands on my lease. I keep a couple of blinds on hand for when I want to hunt is a place I don't have a ladder stand set up. I use a Mr. Heater Base Camp heater and it will keep you good and warm even on the coldest day. These blinds will easily hold two hunters and all their gear and a shooting stick (adjustable) makes shooting pretty easy even for age compromised individuals. My father shot three bucks out of one of these in one season and he was in his mid eighties with a lot of health problems. As long as he could get to the blind he was good to go. I got him to get an ATV at age 84 and he took to it like a duck to water. Nothing wrong with blinds at all. I shot a nice buck out of one this archery season.
Old November 27, 2015, 11:06 PM   #8
Mobuck

We build our blinds 4' x 8' x 5 1/2' to the eave with a peaked roof. Assembled on 2x8 runners, they can be dragged with a large UTV or small tractor or mounted on a trailer or wagon. This would be the minimum size to accommodate 3 people. Ours use treated plywood for siding and floor with 2x3 studs and 2x4 rafters. Choice of window is up to the user- we cut sliding panes from plexi-glass. Door is sized to fit the hunter(s).
I can't remember the exact cost but since we used some #2 lumber and salvaged roofing metal, I think it was less than $350.
These can be left on the ground, set on poles, or as I said, mounted on a mobile platform to meet any number of situations. They must be anchored to prevent wind from upsetting them.
Old November 27, 2015, 11:30 PM   #9
reynolds357

When my father got sick, I built an elevator to his favorite stand. His stand is 55 feet in the air and it is the one he like to hunt out of, so an elevator it was.
Old November 28, 2015, 07:38 AM   #10
stagpanther

Quote:
When my father got sick, I built an elevator to his favorite stand. His stand is 55 feet in the air and it is the one he like to hunt out of, so an elevator it was.
Hat's off to you sir!
Old November 29, 2015, 08:45 AM   #11
globemaster3

Reynolds, when this thread started, an elevator came to mind... But how to build one that is safe and field buildable were the obvious obstacles. If I may ask, how did you do it?

Our security forces have observation posts on a trailer that raise probably 10-15 feet. If cost was not an option, something like that could work.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old November 30, 2015, 10:27 PM   #12
reynolds357

The stand is actually a tower box stand that I had build from square tube steel, all welded. The ladder was square tube outside edges with square tube steps. I welded 2 pieces of angle to the edges of the square tube. I built a platform that was attached to the angle with 12 roller bearings. I built a pulley system that had a counter weight on it. The counter weight was slightly heavier than my father and the platform. The platform had a locking mechanism that could be engaged at the top or the bottom. My father could step on the platform, unlock the platform and use his hands on the steps to control his ascent speed. He could push himself down with a little effort, or I could pull he and the platform down with a rope.
Old December 2, 2015, 09:16 AM   #13
TimSr

Whatever you do, if you are hutning in a state that depends on hunter orange to avoid accidents, put some orange duct tape, or other orange markers on it! Nothing more dumb than wearing blaze ornage inside a camo tent blind!
Old December 4, 2015, 10:19 PM   #14
reynolds357

Well Tim, my state requires orange be worn throughout the entire hunt. Orange has to be on inside the blind. Deer do not see orange any better than they see brown or grey. They see patterns and glare off fabric.