The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 11, 2012, 01:56 PM   #1
S_Constitutionist

Sudden inconsistent drops with Lee adjustable charge bar

I have been using a lee adjustable charge bar for nearly a year on a Lee deluxe turret press. I typically load 5.1 grains of W231 over 230gr LRN in .45 ACP.

Just a few weeks ago my charges started going haywire. It has always metered +/- .05 grains or less, but now I am getting swings of .3 grains or more (4.8 to 5.2 has been the most extreme). Nothing has changed on the press and it has not been adjusted.

I tried some Titegroup and Powerpistol with similar results.

Anyone else know what the heck is going on here? I upgraded from the disks to the ACB because of spilled powder but it looks like I need to go back. Now I have to pull the 80 or so rounds that last made because I just dont trust them... That'll be fun

edit: forgot to mention the hopper is always at least 2/3s full and I am as consistent as I can be with each pull.
Old April 11, 2012, 02:37 PM   #2
higgite

Is it inconsistent with only the charge bar or also with standard disks? Could be the powder drop operating mechanism getting worn. Part of it is made out of pot metal and a groove will wear into it over time. Or might be time to replace the rubber(?) wiper. Have you called Lee to get suggestions on what the problem might be?
Old April 11, 2012, 02:52 PM   #3
S_Constitutionist

I've only loaded 1000 rounds or so on it so I would doubt that its worn out...

The disk had a problem with "sticking" and not dropping a charge every now and again. So, I upgraded to the pro powder measure and the ACB.

I'll pull it apart tonight and take a better look. Good idea about calling Lee, also. I've heard good things about their C/S