The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 26, 2011, 06:46 PM   #1
tahunua001

Mako Grip Pods?

I'm thinking about one for either an AK47, an AR15 or a 10/22 with the AR style archangel stock. anyone have this GP? is it stable? is it durable? is it worth the 100 doll hairs I'd spend after shipping and handling.
Old August 26, 2011, 07:44 PM   #2
brmfan

I have one on my POF .308, and it's a handful! The bipod is solid and deploys fast, but it's somewhat of a hassle to lock the legs back in since the feet have to be 'sandwiched' together. Also it's easy to accidently hit a leg release button and have just one pop out. After a while you get used to gripping it so it doesn't happen much. Otherwise, rock solid product and works as advertised. $100 is a little steep but overall you won't regret it. Might be a bit oversized for an AR or AK, but that's a call you'd have to make.
Old August 26, 2011, 10:19 PM   #3
Aiko

I bought the "authentic" military grip pod of of the sale section of another forum for $45 NIB. It is the real deal, no joke. I saw several knock offs @ our local gun show this weekend- total crap.
Old August 27, 2011, 02:30 AM   #4
Bamashooter

I bought a GPS Grip-pod used on e-bay for less than $50 shipped. It didnt look new but it didnt look bad and it works just fine. I use it on my mini-14 and 10/22 both have tapco stocks. I enjoy shooting off the bench with it. The grip-pods are tuff as nails and well built. Im not sure how other grippods compare to the GPS but if I was you I would check around for the one.
Old August 27, 2011, 11:42 AM   #5
tahunua001

I'm not really a fan of the GPS grip pods, I like the MaKo because the whole grip separates and then telescopes out so it's more like a traditional bipod and when colapsed it looks like a standard grip, the GPS one seems like the short distance between the two legs wouldn't provide a great deal of stability in comparison