The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 5, 2007, 02:32 AM   #1
jephthai

Quick Access Shotgun Storage

Greetings -- I am new to this forum, so please be kind if there's something wrong with my post! I spent the last half hour searching through the forum regarding this question, and didn't find what I am looking for.

I am deciding between a handgun and a shotgun for home defense. The major sticking point right now is fast access and safe storage -- I have a young son, and want to be sure it's as safe as reasonable (I'm also aware of the need for education and familiarity, so to head those posts off at the pass, I am planning on that, in depth, as well). Yet, I want to have speedy access to my home defense weapon.

For a handgun, I have seen the GunVault safes, which I kinda' like. Some Google searching has turned up nothing like that for shotguns, except for the seemingly discontinued GunVault 3000 (Google found it on GunVault's site only for registering it). Am I missing something?

So, for shotguns it seems like there are only two options -- big gun safes and locks. A full-size safe is expensive, and they don't seem to be designed for quick access (maybe I'm wrong?). The most-recommended lock I can find (only recommended lock?), is the Mossberg Loc-Box, but I am concerned about key access. I would prefer not to be fumbling to find or operate a key in the night.

If key-access is the best I can do, I have lots of concerns. Do I keep it on my keyring? Do I put a backup key somewhere? Where do you put it so it can't be found by the child, but is easily accessible when you just exited REM sleep? I don't mind thinking this through for my own situation, but guidance from those who have thought this through in the past is much appreciated!

Thanks for your time -- feel free to point me to other forum threads if this question has been asked a lot and I just missed it on my searching.

-Jephthai-
Old July 5, 2007, 04:11 AM   #2
bcarver

locks and stuff

I have seen an item that secures the shot gun in a corner of the closet.
It had two bars that clamp the shot gun and it was all bolted to the wall.

A simple system would be to keep the slide back and have a cable style padlock through the action. You could have four round in the tube.
Unlock the cable. Pull it out and work the slide.
A kid can find a key wherever you keep it.
Old July 5, 2007, 05:24 AM   #3
zoomie

I've thought about one of these:

http://www.vlineind.com/html/long_gun_case.html

It's certainly a long ways from burglar proof, but it'll keep the honest honest. It's got a simplex lock. No batteries and no keys.

Or, for a more permanent installation: http://www.vlineind.com/html/closet_vault.html
Old July 5, 2007, 11:08 AM   #4
jephthai

Quote:
I have seen an item that secures the shot gun in a corner of the closet.
It had two bars that clamp the shot gun and it was all bolted to the wall.
Do you or anybody else know where I might be able to find out more about this one? It sounds like a design I haven't seen before... another technology to add to the list of potentials anyway.

Thanks!

-Jephthai-
Old July 5, 2007, 11:57 AM   #5
Manedwolf

You could also always make a cube shelf with a hidden lock, one that'd drop open and have the shotgun inside on felt rests. Put it up on the wall high enough to be out of the reach of kids, plus the lock.

People expect to see those box shelves in bedrooms now, with some decor items or candles on it. They don't expect there to be a shotgun inside.
Old July 5, 2007, 12:04 PM   #6
SDC

It sounds like this thing would be along the lines of what you're looking for: http://www.securecase.com/Wallmount.shtml (From "Franzen".)
It has a muzzle ring that screws into a wall stud, and the back half of a combination trigger-lock that also screws into a wall stud (You could also use one of those urethane-coated "L" hangers from the hardware store, which would stick up into the muzzle a short way). You put the muzzle of the shotgun through the ring, then line the trigger guard up with the back half of the trigger-lock, then press the combination half of the lock into the back half. you could also probably substitute a keyed front for the combination front. Hope this helps.
Old July 6, 2007, 04:33 AM   #7
bcarver

similar

The lock I was describing is very similar to the one mentioned above.
The only difference is it was one piece.
Go to ebay and check out auction 230149028373
You could use this partol car bracket/lock to make what you want.
build a box to secure the butt or muzzle and and an upright to the lock and bolt it to the wall.
Old July 6, 2007, 08:54 AM   #8
Syntax360

Stay away from the GunVault stuff if you value your $$$...

See here.
Old July 6, 2007, 10:20 AM   #9
jephthai

Quote:
Stay away from the GunVault stuff if you value your $$$...
Wow, thanks for the information. Do you know of a mechanical safe that compares with the GunVaults?

-Jephthai-
Old July 6, 2007, 01:46 PM   #10
Syntax360

There is a booth at the local DFW gunshows that sells gunsafes that are set up almost exactly like the GunVaults, but are mechanical. I always seem to forget their name - there is a show next weekend and I will report back if you like...
Old July 6, 2007, 07:56 PM   #11
Dfariswheel

Many patrol cars use electric locks with a key back up. To open the lock, you press a hidden button. You can also use a key.
Some people have installed these electronic locks in their houses.
The problem with these is expense.

Here's a good lock, also used in police cars.
This one uses various types of keys.

http://www.santacruzgunlocks.com/index.html
Unlike the Mossberg "Loc-Box", this one doesn't require that the action be partially opened.
The lock locks around the gun's barrel and magazine tube between the receiver and the forearm.
With the gun locked in, it can't be operated, or stolen.
Old July 9, 2007, 11:07 AM   #12
jephthai

Thanks everybody for the input -- I hadn't really thought of the prospects of building something myself. I will definitely look into the brackets and locks you've mentioned.

-Jephthai-
Old July 9, 2007, 08:20 PM   #13
FL-Flinter

There was a company called "NO-KEYS" but they were bought out a couple years back and I can't recall the new name off hand. They did maintain the same product lines, push button mechanical combination locks. They were available with three to eight buttons depending on the level of security you desired and in about 12 different mounting configurations with and without a secondary twist lever for the striker. Very high quality devices but the prices were reasonable. I installed them on various access doors in several factories where they got very hard use, never had one crap out from normal use. I have also used these on several different types of metal firearm lock-boxes I built for customers to use in their homes and businesses.

There are numerous options for home storage and as others have pointed out, you can make them blend into the decor so they are not even noticable. I never got that fancy in my home, never had small children to deal with so my M-500 and 1911 combo hangs right next to my side of the bed on a wood snatch rack, no fumbling, just grab and go. Peacocks alert to anyone coming within a half mile of the house, they get the dogs going and there's always someone home so theft security is not a concern. I have installed lock boxes recessed into interior walls, ceilings and floors as well as in/on/under furnishings and cabinets. Just use some imagination but remeber that it must be very easy and fast for you to access - time frame to respond in the event of a forced entry is 1 to 5 seconds depending on the situation. I would definitely avoid using any dial combination, electric, battery or keyed locking system. Keys are slow and easily misplaces and aquired by children. Electric locks are subject to failure of utility and or battery power. Dial combination locks are also slow to open and you must be able to see what you are dialing, not always an option. Electronic locks are also subject to power failure but they are also subject to ESD (electro-static discharge) magnetic damage as well, child with a magnetic toy or static discharge from a vacuum cleaner or lightning strike can easily destory most electronic locks.