The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 27, 2015, 10:26 PM   #1
Model12Win

Butt ammo cuffs?

Hello all!

I've got a question knockin around this 'ol brain of mine. Something I've wondered for years.

I see the cowboy (and cowgirl) shooters with their lever guns and whatnot on the trail, and some of 'em have contraptions like this on the buttstock:

They are a leather thing you strap onto your rifle's butt with some leather cordage, and they hold several shells on the side of the gun. They look cool and very handy, but I've got to wonder...

Did the cowboys of the 1800s really have such things? Is there any historical evidence to show that these really existed back when the buffalo roamed and "look at that Indian" meant more than looking at a motorcycle?

Seems like a mighty fine thing to ride the trails with. Someday very soon I'll have me a single-shot cowboy gun, either a Sharps or a rolling block, and I'd like one of these leather buttstock cuff ammo carrying things... but only if it's historically accurate!

If it ain't so, and it's a modern deal, when did these become into invention?

Thanks so much all!
Old November 28, 2015, 09:51 AM   #2
g.willikers

Whatever folks can come up with today, it's probably a good bet someone in the past did, too.
Go for it.
Old November 28, 2015, 10:22 AM   #3
Buzzard Bait

Those look real nice

What brand are those I might need something like that I might need to talk to Santa

bb
Old November 28, 2015, 11:26 AM   #4
Pahoo

Handsome but need watching !!!

Quote:
Did the cowboys of the 1800s really have such things?
My understanding is that yes, there were "similar" wrappings added and many did not hold ammo. I've seen such on Native American applications.

Now then, these are certainly handsome and I have made a few, in the past but one thing to watch out for is the leather rubbing on the stock finish. You won't like the results if left too long on the stock. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old November 28, 2015, 03:13 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...Did the cowboys of the 1800s really have such things?..." Most 'cowboy's' didn't own a firearm at all. Too expensive when you're making $30 a month. An SAA is rumoured to have cost the U.S. government $13.50 each in 1874. A Winchester rifle(that no more 'Won the West" than I did) was similar in cost.
Everybody running around carrying a firearm is a Hollywood invention.
Nobody would carry ammo like that either. Same reason. Too expensive to lose even one.
Natives decorated their assorted firearms with brass tacks.
Old November 28, 2015, 03:32 PM   #6
tangolima

I read that nobody was shooting their guns left and right either. Ammunitions were too expensive to waste.

-TL
Old November 28, 2015, 06:26 PM   #7
g.willikers

Leather wrapped around a stock was also a way to repair a cracked one.
Old November 30, 2015, 10:10 PM   #8
rickyrick

I've always wrapped doo-dads on my rifles this is the only handy pic I have available at the moment. I have one with a boar tusk hanging from it. It is not unlikely that folks did it in the past

Old December 1, 2015, 09:55 PM   #9
WV_gunner

I have the modern version, elastic. I like the leather ones a lot and maybe one day I'll have one. But when hunting I have realized a light rifle is your friend. Having a half box of ammo on the stock just makes it weigh that much more. I just keep an extra two bullets in my coat pocket. I can break the gun down with my right hand and grab the next round with my left.
Old December 1, 2015, 10:06 PM   #10
gyvel

Quote:
"...Did the cowboys of the 1800s really have such things?..." Most 'cowboy's' didn't own a firearm at all. Too expensive when you're making $30 a month. An SAA is rumoured to have cost the U.S. government $13.50 each in 1874. A Winchester rifle(that no more 'Won the West" than I did) was similar in cost.
Everybody running around carrying a firearm is a Hollywood invention.
You're pretty much spot on here, but many settlers carried their muskets that were given them upon discharge after the Civil War. That was probably the real gun that won the west.
SIFE