The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 12, 2012, 08:47 PM   #1
comancheblack2

scope adjusting for turkey loads

i have a 2x power scope mounted on my turkey gun. once i pattern the gun at say 40 yards is it just like adjusting a scope to a center fire rifle? some pointers would help thanks
Old March 12, 2012, 10:56 PM   #2
bamaranger

how

I put a scope om my turkey gun last season ( and took it off PDQ). Shot well, but not enough eye relief. Another story...........

Here's how I got on target. I set a backer up at 10-15 yds and put 1" stickers on it. The object was to blow the sticker to smithereens. tI used common trap/field loads for this segment. Once on at close range I moved out to 30 yds or so and shot at a bigger newspaper sized patterning target w/ turkey loads.

The pattern was a tad high.but easily moved down till centered. The close range initial shots, allows for centering the shot load easily, the big ragged holes easy to center on target.