The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 29, 2006, 09:11 PM   #1
Blackwater OPS

Chillicothe, Ohio. Suspect In Officer's Death Escapes From Jail

I am posting this partly as a BOLO because there is a cop killer on the loose, but there is a training aspect to this as well. If you see a pursuit in progress and you are off duty or CCW should you get involved?

I have lived/worked in big cities all my life and the answer for me is an easy NO, but I realize in rural areas it's a bit different.

http://www.nbc4i.com/news/9596856/detail.html

7/29/06
CHILLICOTHE, Ohio -- A Frankfort man who was being held in connection with a Chillicothe police officer's death escaped from the Ross County Jail on Saturday.

Police said John W. Parsons, of Frankfort, killed Officer Larry Cox on April 21, 2005. Cox, 44, was shot in the neck during a police pursuit of a man who was suspected of robbing a gas station and stealing a car.

Parsons, 35, was later indicted on four counts of aggravated murder, one count each of aggravated robbery, tampering with evidence and having a weapon while under disability and two counts of grand theft.

Details about Saturday's escape were not immediately available, NBC 4 reported.

Parsons spent three and a half years in prison for aggravated robbery and breaking and entering. He was released in 2001, NBC 4 reported.

Cox was walking home from his parents' house when he got involved in the pursuit, police said. He was off duty and was not in uniform.

Police said Cox observed the suspect fleeing and officers pursuing the man. Cox joined the pursuit and eventually confronted the suspect in an alley between Chestnut and High Streets in Chillicothe. During the confrontation, Cox was shot and killed.

Cox had served with the Chillicothe Police Department for 19 years, and served as one of the city's DARE officers at the time of his murder.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old July 29, 2006, 09:18 PM   #2
garryc

JOHN W PARSONS

DOB: 02/11/1971
Race: White
Admission Date: 02/11/1999
Institution: Ross Correctional Institution
Zip Code: 45628
Residential County: ROSS

Former case details:

AGG ROBBERY Counts: 1 ORC: 2911.01 4
Committing County: ROSS Sentence Date: 02/11/1999 Degree of Felony: First
** Victim Info Unavailable**

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B & E Counts: 2 ORC: 2911.13 4
Committing County: ROSS Sentence Date: 02/11/1999 Degree of Felony: Fifth
** Victim Info Unavailable**

Sentence Information
Stated Prison Term: 3 years and 6 months Actual Release Date: 08/14/2001
Definite Sentence: ----
Indefinite Sentence Min: ---- FOA/TRC Date: 08/14/2001
Indefinite Sentence Max: ---- POA Date:
Mandatory Sentence: ----
MDO: ---- Supervision Start Date: 01/23/2002
RVO: ---- Period of Supervision: 5 years
Gun Specification: ---- APA Office: ROSS 1
Expiration Stated Sent: 11/20/2005 Conditions of Supervision

Latest Parole Board Hearing Month: June 2001
Latest Parole Board Hearing Type/Results: REHEAR HRG/T.C. RECOMMENDED
Old July 29, 2006, 09:33 PM   #3
Blackwater OPS

thx garry
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(")_(")
Old July 30, 2006, 01:19 AM   #4
PATH

Ditto!

'How MacPherson Held The Floor'
Old July 30, 2006, 05:55 PM   #5
Dwight55

From the local news channel covering this story, . . . apparently several local folks have already become involved. They spotted him riding along a back road on a bicycle he had stolen, . . . apparently on the way to some relatives several more miles away.

They gave chase on their atv's but somehow he ditched the bike and got into a wooded area where the atv's couldn't follow.

At that point, they called it in to the LEO's who at last newscast, . . . had over 100 officers, several dogs, a chopper and a plane working the area.

He faces a needle in the arm if he comes back, . . . so I wouldn't really look for and early surrender, . . . but who knows?

I'm 100 miles or so from the area, . . . but yeah, . . . doors are all locked anyway.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old July 31, 2006, 11:56 AM   #6
BerettaBuckeye

They say the police have actually had that scumbag in sight a few times but couldn't catch up
- Jeff Cooper
Old July 31, 2006, 03:43 PM   #7
Tim Burke

At 2740 fps they couldn't catch up?
Old August 1, 2006, 04:18 PM   #8
JN01

I read several newspaper reports on the escape who quoted some of the area locals. Seems the officer who was murdered was widely loved and respected, and upon hearing of the escape, locals set up a sort of neighborhood watch to try to catch the scumbag. Several of the locals were quoted as saying that the escapee was "a dead man".
Old August 1, 2006, 04:25 PM   #9
Harley Quinn

Gee and such and nice looking young man

Well it goes to show, you can't tell the book by its cover.

He must be a nut case. Was that a picture after he did the deed? He is pretty dangerous, should be snuffed. No playing around with this one.

HQ
Old August 2, 2006, 11:18 PM   #10
D-Bak

I actually know this guy and his brother..... his brother was just convicted for murder and sentenced to life in prison....

This is the same guy I had to pull off of my sister so he didnt beat her to death...

The whole family is crazy and should be in jail for the rest of their lives...

Lets hope they catch this guy.... cause i know i am on his [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] list...
Old August 3, 2006, 12:01 AM   #11
azurefly

Quote:
If you see a pursuit in progress and you are off duty or CCW should you get involved?

I have seen people say it so many times here -- "A CCW license is not a law-enforcement badge nor a call to duty as a law-enforcement officer!" -- that I would stay clear of the pursuit if only for fear of being yelled at here!

No, really, I don't have a police radio, nor markings on my car, nor a badge on my shirt, that identifies me to LEO as an LEO, or even as a concerned do-gooder citizen with a gun of his own. How could I be of any help in that situation? I'd be more likely to get myself killed and/or foul up the pursuit by the actual LEOs.

For what it's worth, I'd really like to know whose screwup allowed his escape from prison in the first place.
Every single time something like this happens, it infuriates me that some people oppose the death penalty. PEOPLE ESCAPE FROM PRISON. MANY TIMES, IT'S THE WORST ONES, THE ONES YOU MOST WANT KEPT OUT OF THE PUBLIC. Executed murderers don't ever escape from prison to murder again.

This guy was being held for COP KILLING, and STILL THEY COULD NOT MANAGE TO KEEP A CLOSE ENOUGH EYE ON HIM THAT HE COULD NOT ESCAPE?! [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color], PEOPLE?!

My point is that we need to be a lot more serious about keeping dangerous people WELL under lock and key. And the worst, most degenerate specimens should be put down as soon as legally possible.

-azurefly
Old August 3, 2006, 12:12 AM   #12
azurefly

Quote:
I actually know this guy and his brother..... his brother was just convicted for murder and sentenced to life in prison....

So... I guess we can look forward to the possibility that some time during his life in prison, HE TOO might escape and be yet another murderer who gets out of prison to kill again?

Executed murderers never murder again. That alone is all the reason I need to support the death penalty.

How can anyone argue against my point, anyway? The brother you mention -- the possibility of his future escape was just demonstrated by the current events.

-azurefly
Old August 7, 2006, 10:11 PM   #13
garryc

Once this scum bucket gets convicted and sent to an Ohio prison his odds of escape are very, very slim. After many years a murderer could step down to minimum security and go to a farm in which he works outside the fence. Not this guy, he has escaped from custody once and will never be allowed outside the wire. So, while he might make minimum security after many years, he will do no better than a medium security compound.
What alot of people think in Ohio is that the inmates in the farm camps are all in for drugs of DUI's. Not so, there are murderers. There used to be no sex offenders, now there are. In one farm camp they are held in an enclosure that has no alarms on the fence and no armed patrol. Now thats more plucked up than a little bit.
Old August 8, 2006, 12:24 AM   #14
azurefly

The guy escaped after he was already in custody for killing a cop.

Can you explain to me why he has to be allowed a first escape before they put him under this ultra-mega-super-duper watchful guard you're talking about?

What makes the prison unwilling to adequately watch a murderer until he has already had one escape? THEN they say, "Oh, gee, I guess we better MEAN it when we say, 'Stay in the prison!'"

-azurefly
Old August 8, 2006, 12:29 AM   #15
Harley Quinn

Must still be out and about.

Found this on him: FBI POSTER

http://www2.fbi.gov/wanted/alert/parsons_jw.htm

He is going to be caught at some time, hope he is caught before he has a chance to get D-Bak.
I keep my eyes wide open all the time (Johnny Cash).
Pretty appropriate for you D-Bak, at this time and situation. Good luck.
Shoot to kill.

HQ
Old August 8, 2006, 12:37 AM   #16
Harley Quinn

azurefly

I am of the same feeling, someone really messed up!
He fashioned a rope out of his sheet and toilet paper. Wow, must be some tough wipe there! That is enough to make you go over the hill.

He is a real bad dude and needs to be given the lead/copper pill.

HQ
Old August 8, 2006, 07:33 AM   #17
garryc

He wasn't in prison. He was in a county jail.
Old August 8, 2006, 11:07 AM   #18
Harley Quinn

garryc

Between your last post and this one I am referring to now, a prisoner is some one who is in prison and an arrestee is some one who is in jail. One has been convicted and the other is awaiting trial

It is a good point, maybe you ought to have made it a litttle clearer so the person you are talking to will know who you are elucidating.

Guilty is the main term we are talking about, he is presumed innocent until proven guilty, a mistake in our system, I might add.

They do slip up in a non maximum enviroment. This guy has something on his mind and it is freedom. Social deviant that he is, but we still allow him his rights.
He has shown his true inclination, he is to be considered very dangerous and should be shot and not messed with, other then hunting him down and expunge him.
In other countries they might not see the light of day again. Our religion in this country talks about a better place after death. We need to send him there.

HQ
Old August 8, 2006, 09:44 PM   #19
garryc

he was being held, an arrestee, not yet convicted
Old August 8, 2006, 11:54 PM   #20
Blackwater OPS

Quote:
Guilty is the main term we are talking about, he is presumed innocent until proven guilty, a mistake in our system, I might add.
I hate to hear stuff like that from a cop, you might not feel that way if you were ever wrongly arrested/accused.

That said, this guy is SOS(shoot on sight).
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

(\__/)
(")_(")
Old August 11, 2006, 08:14 AM   #21
beenthere

Presumption

Presumption of innocence has its problems, but presumption of guilt has even worse potential.

On many cases a middle ground would be advisable perhaps related to the strength of evidence or offense at the time of apprehension. Even that leaves plenty of room for abuse due to legal manuvering or judicial activism.

Darned if I know the answer.
The weak, and those unwilling to make the struggle, soon resign their liberties for the protection of powerful men or paid armies; they begin by being protected, they end by being subjected. Louis L'Amour
Old August 11, 2006, 11:33 AM   #22
garryc

First of all, the fact that he is accused of killing a cop is irrelivant. The fact that he is accused of murder is. Weather or not the person he is accused of killing is LE or not is not a factor in my book, their lives are no more valuble than any other citizen.

The fact that he is an escaped prisoner is also a major factor. He needs to be recoverd. If that recovery results in a body bag because he refused to surrender, or fled, then so be it. If he is convicted, and I'm sure he will be, execute the slime post haste. Of course that brings up a frustrating situation, 12 to 14 years before execution. I think it should be a 6 month review and then to the gallows. And I do mean Gallows, back to the rope. No need to give him dignity by doing what for all purposes appears to be a medical proceedure. That is not a matter that needs resolved at the end of a cops gun. If he surrenders and is then killed by a cop, that cop is no better than the murderer he is in custody of. Fact of the matter is, if a cop would do such a thing he needs to surrender his badge. If he actually does it he needs a trip to the gallows. What we really don't need in this country is SS style street executions.
Old August 11, 2006, 09:03 PM   #23
Dwight55

As a minister, yes, Garryc, . . . I agree with you that one life is no more important than another, . . . be it a LEO, . . . prostitute, . . . infant, . . . or school teacher.

I would only caution that one should look at those who kill in different lights. Some women feel absolutely no compunction about abortion after the first week, . . . or within hours of the time the child would be born, . . . yet they would never pick up a gun with the thought of killing someone for money.

Some prostitutes will pass around AIDS and other social diseases with impunity, . . . yet never lift a hand to knife, shoot, or bludgeon someone to death.

Most murderers I am told, . . . (most meaning a simple majority), . . . killed once, . . . and in all liklihood, . . . will/would never do it again, . . . simply because the events that led up to their murder will never be repeated.

BUT, . . . a select few will not only kill for money or kill for hire, . . . but will even go beyond that and kill for any conceiveable reason, . . . and will not let the LEO uniform, . . . clergy attire, . . . a teenager's prom dress, . . . or anything else slow their murderous desire.

These are the folks we need to be in condition orange/yellow about at any given time, . . . and give them more "attention" so to speak.

Personally, . . . right now I am very seriously looking at each and every 20 something male with a crew cut and athletic build, . . . on the outside chance I might meet up with this Parsons character. If I do, . . . my reaction to a "cop killer" will be far different from my neighbor lady who elected to have an abortion, . . . the prostitute on the corner with Aids, . . . etc, . . . though technically they are just all those who have taken a life (or were accused of it).

I don't CCW for people who in a fit of passion may do in their spouse, . . . or may do in the mother in law for the insurance, . . . but I sure as rain is wet do CCW for the likes of this Parsons guy. He has shown his disdain for human life by taking a LEO life with apparent impunity, . . . he sure wouldn't think twice about doing me for my billfold, Chevy, or my 1911.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old August 11, 2006, 10:17 PM   #24
garryc

Quote:
I would only caution that one should look at those who kill in different lights. Some women feel absolutely no compunction about abortion after the first week, . . . or within hours of the time the child would be born, . . . yet they would never pick up a gun with the thought of killing someone for money.
These people are taught that an unborn fetus is not really a person. A case of law making morality. Legally a fetus is not a person, even though you and I agree that it is.

Quote:
Some prostitutes will pass around AIDS and other social diseases with impunity, . . . yet never lift a hand to knife, shoot, or bludgeon someone to death.
That is a differant act than shedding anothers blood, same end effect but differant.

Quote:
BUT, . . . a select few will not only kill for money or kill for hire, . . . but will even go beyond that and kill for any conceiveable reason, . . . and will not let the LEO uniform, . . . clergy attire, . . . a teenager's prom dress, . . . or anything else slow their murderous desire.
And these people, once convicted in a court of law, should be promptly executed.

Quote:
These are the folks we need to be in condition orange/yellow about at any given time, . . . and give them more "attention" so to speak.
My point is, reguardless of all other factors, these people have taken anothers life. They should forfit thier own as just punishment. Since death is the punishment for all 1st degree murders it becomes irrelivent who the murdered person is or what the motivation of the murderer was. Hate crime, sexual pervert who kills his victim, drug dealer on drug dealer, cop killer, it does not matter. Death is the penalty for first degree murder. Saying that one first degree murder is worse than another is like multiplying infinity.

Quote:
Most murderers I am told, . . . (most meaning a simple majority), . . . killed once, . . . and in all liklihood, . . . will/would never do it again, . . . simply because the events that led up to their murder will never be repeated.
It matters not one bit ie it is one murder or a hundred, or if they likely would never do it again, execution for first degree murder conviction should be automatic. Just punishment for that crime.

Quote:
I don't CCW for people who in a fit of passion may do in their spouse
By definition, not first degree.

Quote:
or may do in the mother in law for the insurance
first degree, execute

Quote:
but I sure as rain is wet do CCW for the likes of this Parsons guy. He has shown his disdain for human life by taking a LEO life with apparent impunity, . . . he sure wouldn't think twice about doing me for my billfold, Chevy, or my 1911.
When he is in the commision of the crime you would be justified in shooting him in self defence.
Old August 12, 2006, 01:54 AM   #25
Blackwater OPS

garry

So the killing of another person is wrong, unless it is sanctioned by the state? Just trying to clarify.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

(\__/)
(")_(")