The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 28, 2013, 03:41 PM   #1
Boomer44

Krieghoff KS-5 Vs KX-5

HI Guys. I'm looking for some input here. I own a Browning Cynergy Sport and do well with Skeet and Sporting Clays... However I suck at Trap. In a usually round I will break in the mid to low teens.. Sometimes when I get lucky a 20 or 21.. but no higher.

I am thinking of buying a Trap gun with a High Rib like a used Krieghoff single barrel Trap gun. What is the difference between the KS-5 and KX-5 ?

Any other Single barrel trap guns I should be looking at... Like a Winchester 101 ????

Last edited by Boomer44; October 28, 2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old October 28, 2013, 04:22 PM   #2
zippy13

The W-101 and the K-guns are in a totally different league. Have you considered a trap combo (single and O/U barrel sets)? I got a Beretta combo years ago and have not had any trouble with it. For a serious trap gun, you'll probably have to have the stock tweaked for a perfect fit. I had an adjustable, recoil-reducing unit put on my 682x.
Old October 28, 2013, 05:49 PM   #3
BigJimP

Krieghoff KS-5 and KS-5 Special
http://www.shootingsports.com/krieghof/cata/k80ks5.htm

then there was the KX-5 ...
http://www.krieghoff.com/index.php?o...d=63&Itemid=75
which was a better version of the KS-5's in my view...
---------
KX-6 is their current single barrel Trap gun....
http://www.krieghoff.com/index.php/c...ngle-shot-trap
-------------
standard KS-5 has no adj comb --- that's not a good idea / it lacks the adjustability you'll probably need. KX-5's are very nice guns / KX-6's have more adjustability...and some different features. But the differences are pretty subtle unless you're really into the K guns.
-------------
While I have a Browning BT-100 ( the older version of the BT-99 ) Browning single barrel....I still primarily use a Citori XT Trap for all my Trap shooting...the versatility of the O/U means I can shoot it for doubles, continental Trap and singles ...and I like the weight and swing characteristics of the XT a lot better than most single barrel dedicated trap guns....
Old October 30, 2013, 01:35 AM   #4
Dreaming100Straight

Have you taken any lessons with a qualified trap instructor? They may be more helpful and less costly than a new gun or be helpful in helping you select one.
Old October 30, 2013, 02:15 PM   #5
Boomer44

Thanks for all your help.. I appreciate it all. You know It's funny I just spoke to my instructor last night. Since my Browning Cynergy does not have an adjustable comb, he suggested we make a temporary one out of rolled up napkins, and then tape it on to the stock just to see how it would help. So I guess I will be trying this experiment real soon….see what happens…

Please keep the feedback coming in.
Old November 1, 2013, 02:53 AM   #6
Dreaming100Straight

Rolled up napkins should work. I use a piece of moleskin from WalMart.