The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 4, 2013, 02:29 AM   #1
Barneveld

7.62x25 questions

I am a huge fan of the 7.62x25 cartridge and own several firearms for it. I realize that, to be truly happy, I must start reloading my own shells. I come across a few "creative concerns" that I need some help with though.

1. Being that the bullet diameter is .308, am I stuck using the small 85 grain projectile, or is it possible to succesfully--key word--use spitzer style rifle projectiles of the same diameter? If seated so the overall length is the same, would this cause excessive pressure for tokarev type pistols?

2. I use slow powders whenever possible. What would be the ideal powder for use with a 4.5in or standard pistol barrel?

I greatly appreciate any comments and would love to see pictures if anyone else has been able to successfully load a bullet like I have described.
Old August 4, 2013, 03:02 AM   #2
John C

Speer makes two .308 bullets that should work, the 100 gr. TMJ and the 110 gr. Plinker. Check those out.
Old August 4, 2013, 10:37 AM   #3
Strafer Gott

I've reloaded the 100gr. half jacket and Unique with good results. The pistol design theory is bullet velocity. Stick with the lighter pills.
Old August 4, 2013, 06:28 PM   #4
jag2

I've loaded the 85s but mostly 110, reason being I've loaded for m-1 carbine a long time and have plenty on hand. They certainly worked fine but I don't shoot that gun enough to say one was better than the other. They cycled with no problems and are a lot cheaper to shoot than the 85s. That's good enough for me. If you're a serious shooter of that round maybe you'll be able to tell if there's any difference. I would certainly give it a try.
Old August 4, 2013, 07:04 PM   #5
snuffy

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/729...int-box-of-100

I use the above bullet in my cz-52. The bores of those pistols vary a bunch, some are as big as .311. Mine does well with the 90 XTP. I also load a 100 grain lead from a lee .308 rifle mold. Actually made for the 30 carbine.

Lee liquid alox dipped then moved after draining for a while.

Those shot quite well, as well as that crude military style pistol can shoot.

Main problem is finding the cases. The ejection is,,,---vigorous!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 4, 2013, 07:55 PM   #6
tahunua001

there are a number of shorty 308 bullets between 85 and 110gr designed for 30 carbine, they should work fine in tokarev.
Old August 5, 2013, 03:08 AM   #7
sc928porsche

I use Sierra 110 gr in both 7.62x25 and .30 carbine.
Old August 5, 2013, 11:41 PM   #8
Barneveld

Wow. Thanks for all the great info. Has anyone used a spitzer-type bullet in a tok or cz pistol successfully. Would that put the bullet OAL beyond specs?
Old August 6, 2013, 09:55 AM   #9
Magnum Wheel Man

I do a lot of this "type" of reloading... I think you'll find the spitzer type bullets have too long a "taper" & thus are too small a diameter where they would meet the case mouth, & still be at an acceptable COL... you'll need something with a more blunt bullet shape
Old August 6, 2013, 09:56 AM   #10
jag2

Haven't tried it but yes I think the OAL could be a problem and wonder about feeding problem. I can't think of any semi auto using that type bullet, may be some but I'm not aware of them. The mental image I have is the bullet sticking way down in the case with vert little contact between the bullet and the brass because it has such a short neck. If you could buy a small quantity it may be worth experimenting but I've got my doubts you will be happy with the results.
Old August 6, 2013, 01:13 PM   #11
Barneveld

Thanks for all of the input. I don't think I will be trying to use spitzer bullets if so many problems are envisioned.