The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 12, 2012, 02:37 PM   #1
Dan_D

Remington New Model Police repro?

Does/did anyone make a true repro of the .36 Remington New Model Police?
It seems like such a handy back-up gun, with good concealability and better stopping power than a .31 pocket mousegun.
I know Pietta makes one they call the police, but it's just a short barreled .44
'58 bored for .36 and thus is much larger in the frame/heavier/ and is 6 rather than 5 shot.
So did anyone make a good repo at some point, or does someone and I'm just missing it?
Thanks,
Dan
Old September 16, 2012, 12:48 AM   #2
arcticap

While it wasn't a true repro, there was at least one maker that produced a small frame .36 Remington years ago that was named the .36 New Belt or Belt Model Remington. However it came with an adjustable rear sight that made its design non-authentic. One such model was imported by Navy Arms and wasn't marked, but it was surmised to have been made by Pietta.
Old September 16, 2012, 04:15 PM   #3
Shotput79

That's the same story I heard, but finding one is a pain in the rear. ASM may be some of those flooting around. You my luck up on GB. I kind of like the Pietta .36 but a Uberti may be built a little smaller than the Pietta. May find someone that has a Uberti and find out the difference in the size between them.
Old September 17, 2012, 11:28 AM   #4
arcticap

The Euroarms .44 Remington has a smaller grip and is lighter than the other makes which leads me to think that thier .36 would also be smaller. Euroarms didn't stop production very long ago so they may still be found. Euroarms also made .36 stainless and .36 target models but I don't know if many were actually imported. Henry Krank in the UK still seems to carry them.

http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?...99_226_227_228

Last edited by arcticap; September 17, 2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old September 17, 2012, 12:09 PM   #5
Shotput79

arcticap looks like you have the better info on this subject cause I'm all out of idea's on this one. Some of the other's would know but no one is chiming in to help out. Dan_D may have a little homework cut out for himself. Sure as I would say something like that you'll maybe luck up on something if you believe in luck. I'm working with a little Colt pocket police right now and will post on a new thread so I want still this thread away from Dan_D. I hope you can find what your looking for. I would sujest not giving up on the hunt for what you want cause getting something else would not make you happy if it's really not what you want. Mail order can be a pain in a case like this. When you can go in a shop and look and handel the guns in the store you can get that hands on feeling with the different types of pistol's. I just happen to have such a place near home to go to. Most all his bp pistols are made by Uberti. Sometime's I'll buy from him and sometime's I'll come back home and order from Cabelas or Dixie. Neither have done me wrong with there product's. I like the way that most of the Pietta made guns are coming out now days better than some of the stuff that's coming out from Uberti. I don't know what there problem is but they do have some problem's with there guns that you didn't have a couple years ago. Sorry I'm just rambling on here I'll shut up and let someone else have the floor now.