The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 22, 2012, 10:34 PM   #1
Barr

Flawed MSNBC Report and YouTube Content

It appears MSNBC and the Australians are now perusing YouTube to retrieve user generated content and include with their newscasts.

[Sarcasm On]
Several important facts I learned tonight:

1. Single shot bolt action .50 caliber rifles are the weapons of choice for the Mexican cartels.
2. Single shot bolt action .50 caliber rifles can take down a helicopter. And I thought it was hard enough to hit a clay pigeon with a shotgun. It appears we should have equipped our troops all with single shot rifles instead of the Ma Deuce, think of the ammo savings alone at a $1 a bullet!
[/Sarcasm Off]

It truly boggles the mind that this level of slanted reporting is available. They claim to perform online gun sales without background checks when really it is a FTF sale with the internet being the equivalent of the old classifieds in the newspaper.

The most ironic thing is they want to tread on our individual rights to privacy etc. but then appropriate private video content and hide using the Fair Use doctrine for a content purpose that is completely contrary to the intended video purpose. A perfect example of this is a gentlemen shooting a Glock in his backyard in TN, what does this have to do with Gun Control in Australia?

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/463164.../#.UAy_GbTwumA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gBKz...&feature=g-u-u
Old July 22, 2012, 10:52 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

Both links are 404's. Since the linked content presumably provides the bulk of the substance for your post, we really need those to work.
Old July 22, 2012, 10:56 PM   #3
MadMikeX3

Anything to get a story going. And with the level of common sense these days, there well be followers.

Sent on a High class device.
Old July 23, 2012, 12:24 AM   #4
gc70

Link to what I believe is one of the videos:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/261848...24412#46324412
Old July 23, 2012, 04:26 AM   #5
Barr

Not sure why the links did not work. I have reposted the YouTube link below. There are two links to where the slanted news articles are in the video comments section.

YouTube video labeled: Media Use of YouTube Gun Channel Content
http://youtu.be/8gBKzvinrgA

Rossen Reports: Anyone can buy guns, no questions asked
Legal loophole permits weapons powerful enough to down aircraft to be sold without checks

This articles are a few months old, but the first I had seen of them. I wanted everyone to be aware that YouTube content is now considered in the public domain for Fair Use.

Last edited by Barr; July 23, 2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old July 23, 2012, 10:40 AM   #6
BarryLee

I suspect we are going to see efforts to impose more gun control while simultaneously claiming to protect the Second Amendment. Attempting to restrict gun sales to licensed dealers is just one example.

Many of these battles will be battles for public opinion and gun rights advocates need to do a better job of explaining our position. I once saw someone who was attempting to defend an issue on the news and he just kept stating the Constitution protects that right. While fundamentally that may be true, but why not take some time to go into more detail. Explain why certain restrictions may make some folks feel good, but really don’t work in the long term.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 23, 2012, 12:34 PM   #7
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
This articles are a few months old, but the first I had seen of them. I wanted everyone to be aware that YouTube content is now considered in the public domain for Fair Use.
Fair Use and public domain are two different things. Fair Use allows me to quote your writings in another venue under certain circumstances, and for certain purposes. However, under Fair Use, you still have rights under copyright. Public domain is the absence of copyright.

In the future, please post a readable article in addition to, or in place of, a YouTube video. Not everyone has broadband internet, and many of our users are behind workplace filters that prevent them from viewing the content.
Old July 23, 2012, 12:41 PM   #8
gc70

Quote:
Many of these battles will be battles for public opinion
This is what makes me feel most positive about the poor prospects for more gun control.

The long-term trend in public sentiment has been favorable to the RKBA for the past half century.
  • In the 1950s and 1960s, clear majorities of the public polled in favor of totally banning handguns.
  • Through the 1990s, clear majorities of the public polled in favor of more or stricter gun control laws.
  • Now, the clear majority of the public polls in favor of the status quo or fewer or less restrictive gun control laws.
There is a lot of sound and fury in the media about the struggle between politicians trying to "do good" and the mean ol' NRA blocking their efforts. But the NRA is only the visible tip of the iceberg. The NRA has 4 million members, but a recent GAO report said there are 8 million concealed carry license holders in our country. Think about that - only a fraction of the people who have guns are concealed carry license holders, but that fraction numbers 8 million.

For whatever reasons, the public at large has increasingly decided that the ability to have a gun is good. That strong undercurrent of public sentiment is the strongest guarantee of the RKBA.