The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 4, 2006, 07:04 PM   #1
threefivesevenmag

Sentry Gun Safes?

I am looking to get a gun safe for a few handguns and 2 long arms. I know I am going to get more handguns and probably a few longarms.

What size safe, not cabinet, should I get?

I was thinking a 10 gun minimum, or should I just go up to the 14 or so safe?

I don't have a huge budget. I was thinking of getting a Sentry Safe. Any opinons on them? I know they are not the best, but would they falter to most quick going thieves?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 4, 2006, 07:12 PM   #2
leadcounsel

Read the several other postings on this topic...
Old May 4, 2006, 07:49 PM   #3
RsqVet

Get the low end browning / winchester / whatever your gun shop / sportsman wharehouse et. al. carries, at a minimum you want substantal construction and a sarget and greenleaf lock, some fire resistance as well

The sentery, stack on and so forth a near worthless for protection from theft as they are easy to breach and frustrating because from the quality standpoint they break easy, offten in the locked positon

On place I work has a sentery for narcotics and after about 6 months it starts to jam and act funny the it breaks about every 1.5 to 2 years on cue, it's opened maybe once a day on avarage. Only redeeming quality is they are usually replaced under warranty but it's a pain if it's full of stuff though it's about a 20 min job for non-professonals to breach it so you can immagine what any near pro could do it in.
Old May 4, 2006, 10:25 PM   #4
Ifishsum

It's certainly better than no safe at all. Buy one substantially bigger than what you need now or you'll regret it later, believe me.

My sentry has been in use for several years and hasn't broken yet, and I'm confident it would stop most casual thieves.
Old May 5, 2006, 08:48 AM   #5
Te Anau

The Sentry is better than nothing for sure,but I would seriously consider waiting until I had $550.00 and could get the Winchester safe that Sams club sells all the time.Its much heavier duty and will (hopefully) serve you well for decades to come.I believe it holds (I have one) 18-20 long guns and then you have a shelf on top for handguns.If you dont know someone who has a Sams club card you can even get a one day pass--and they can also deliver it to your house.Please consider waiting just a little longer.
Heres who make Winchester safes. http://www.granitesafe.com/
Old May 5, 2006, 06:25 PM   #6
Gun In The Sun

Any safe that you can afford is a good investment just remember to BOLT it down.My brother had a 2000lb safe filled w/ his collection carted off by 2 guys w/ a delivery dolly.It was found in Colorado cut in half and empty! I bought a Liberty "colonial" w/ an exceptable fire rating and shot four- 3/4in anchors into my slab.
Old May 5, 2006, 09:56 PM   #7
a1abdj

Quote:
Get the low end browning / winchester / whatever your gun shop / sportsman wharehouse et. al. carries, at a minimum you want substantal construction and a sarget and greenleaf lock, some fire resistance as well

The sentery, stack on and so forth a near worthless for protection from theft as they are easy to breach and frustrating because from the quality standpoint they break easy, offten in the locked positon
Many of the Sentry safes are made by the same Chinese companies that make the low end Browning, Liberty, and others.

In fact, the non insulated Sentry uses thicker steel than the Liberty or Browning. The steel thickness is one of the most important defenses against a brute force attack.

I would not consider the Sentry to be much of a safe (although they do build excellent fireproof containers), but in some cases it can be better than the more expensive big named safes.

You may want to call around to a few locksmiths who specialize in safes. Many people think the best deal is at a warehouse club or sporting goods store without calling the people who work with safes day in and day out. Not only can you find good deals on a used safe, but sometimes we even have new safes (which are higher quality) for the same price as some of these "sales" that you see.
Old May 7, 2006, 07:19 AM   #8
littlmak

sentry safes

I have 2 Sentry 14 gun safes and I haven't had a problem with either of them. (combination locks not keypads) I don't know of a home safe that can't be opened by a "pro" if given enough time and privacy. As long as they keep my guns safe from the kids, the crack heads, and the lawyers I'm satisfied.