The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 23, 2007, 06:48 PM   #1
auberg

1911 front sight

Okay guys, I need your help again. I have a '70 series Government Model that I have had since '92. I bought it used, it came with a set of sights on it that I don't believe are factory. The front has an orange blade, and the rear has a (for lack of a better term) "U" shaped white outline in the back.

I was at the range and probably put 10 to 12 rounds through it before the front sight came off. I was lucky to find it, but it looks like it actually broke at the base. Since I found it behind the firing line, (by about 10 feet) I would imagine it came off on recoil. All of that being said, is this something that happens "fairly" often? and since the front sight is now worthless, what should I use to replace it?

Thanks!!
Old May 23, 2007, 07:12 PM   #2
Sarge

Similar thread with some good info here.
Old May 23, 2007, 07:12 PM   #3
jamesl

It is pretty common especially if its a norrow tenon. The best thing to do would be to have it dove tailed or if you want to save some money you can just have a new front sight stacked on.
Old May 23, 2007, 07:47 PM   #4
kcshooter

Yeah, the 70 series had issues with this, they are all narrow tenon. That's why the 80 series went to the wide tenon. On a 70 series, dovetail cuts aren't a bad idea unless you want to keep it stock. If your interested and want to keep it stock, I have a pair of MeproLight tritium night sights that will fit it that I'll let go for $40 bucks, shipped. I also have a set of plain 3-dots for $25 shipped. Your local 'smith should be able to install them for about 10 or 20 bucks more.
It's the hammering of the slide vs the small piece of metal mounted into the slide that makes these break off. It sounds like you had a pair of Millet fixed sights installed on it. They have the orange front/white outline rear. Good sights but depending on how much you shoot, they all break at some point, usually not until thousands and thousands of rounds though.
Old May 23, 2007, 07:59 PM   #5
auberg

Okay, enlighten me on what you mean by "dovetailing". I think I understand, but want to know for sure.

BTW, thanks for the good info.
Old May 23, 2007, 11:09 PM   #6
kcshooter

They are cuts into the slide like the rear slide.
Old May 24, 2007, 06:27 PM   #7
jamesl

kcshooter has a pretty good deal their and a local smith will probley make a dovetail cut for $40-50
Old May 24, 2007, 06:34 PM   #8
kcshooter

No, the MeproLights and 3-dots are for the standard narrow tenon 70 series front, if you cut the slide, I don't have anything but plain black blades from a Kimber.
If you want to retain it's stock factory appearance my sights would work and it would be $20 or less for a 'smith to install 'em
Old May 24, 2007, 08:58 PM   #9
auberg

Thanks guys. It all makes sense. I just had never seen this happen.

KC, I sent you a PM about the night sights.

Thanks to all again.