The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 7, 2011, 10:21 AM   #26
RevGeo

For filler I use a wad of toilet paper (leaving myself open to the well-known wit of this forum, I know). I roll it into a loose ball and poke it in the case over the powder. It fluffs up and keeps the powder down around the primer where it belongs. Works great in my 45-70 loads and for reduced loads in magnum pistol cases.

I've heard too many stories of pressure increases using corn meal or something of the sort. Don't know if they're true or not...

George
Old October 7, 2011, 10:28 AM   #27
Magnum Wheel Man

I was also concerned with something stiff enough ( nitro card ) with the solid projectile, if the card spun sideways & lodged in the barrel, it may act like a barrel obstruction for the 2nd round... unlikely it would do any damage... but it's stuff I do think about when I'm loading "outside the box"

I'm using about 1/4" compression, if I went to a coarser filler Grits, or something without the finer powder I found in my corn meal... the compression should keep everything in it's place...

... it could also help, maybe if there was a ball powder in my range, that was closer in granulation to my filler... the stick type powder could probably get some mixing, more so than something of the same granulation
Old October 7, 2011, 10:35 AM   #28
Magnum Wheel Man

I would also be concerned about using a "packable" filler on a bottlenecked case... but would guess that for a straight wall case it should be fine
Old October 7, 2011, 10:36 AM   #29
spclPatrolGroup

I like how everyone is sneaking filler from their "wifes" or "girlfriends" sewing supplies. Come on you can admit your other hobbies here, we wont judge
Old October 7, 2011, 10:39 AM   #30
Magnum Wheel Man

My wife is a quilter... last year I took up leather working & holster making.... we often sit & "sew" together

... & we can tel what REV's hobby is...
Old October 7, 2011, 06:17 PM   #31
darkgael

Fillers

The only cases that I use fillers in are the 45-70 when I am loading the 55 grain BP Carbine load. I use PuffLon and a fiber wad between the Pufflon and the powder.
The only other case is the large old 577-450. With 85 grains of BP in it, there is still a lot of space left. I use Kapok fiber. Smokeless loads are poor performers in that cartridge - load density is horrible.
For comparison: the 50-110 Winchester displaces 159 grains of water. The 577-450 goes to 167....room for a lot more powder than I want to shoot - and it was never loaded to that level.
Pete
Old October 9, 2011, 04:36 AM   #32
metaldemon7

My friend, and neighbor always used Dacron filler in his 30-06 Springfield. That was until he ringed the chamber. It happened over thousands of rounds, but it happened. The ring was deep enough to were he had to bang the bolt handle on the bench to get the bolt open. We had to cut the chamber, and head space it to fix it. Google it.
Old October 9, 2011, 12:05 PM   #33
TXGunNut

Considering using a filler for my .45-90 if 1.5Fg and FFg become unbearable. Ran across Black Dawge filler sold by Black Dawge Cartridge yesterday while perusing their site. Not as cheap as some other fillers but seems to be a safer alternative.
Somehow I think this cartridge needs the holy black but a case full would make it quite a thumper.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old October 10, 2011, 06:25 AM   #34
Magnum Wheel Man

shot 4 of those big rounds yesterday... both 30 & 35 grains of powder worked fine, with the light bullets, & the corn meal filler... 35 grains of powder just started to flatten primers, but no issues with the pockets or with the balloon heads... so that's about max load... I couldn't find the 55 gallon barrel in 4 shots with the different 2 loads, so will try the same again at 25 yards this next week, will also try a couple of the heavier bullets, & will buy some corn grits to get a filler closer to the size of the powder... there is a rubber recoil pad on the rifle / shot gun, but felt recoil was not unpleasant, & it was actually pretty nice to shoot off the bench...

I'm not at all concerned about ringing my chamber, with the straight case, & a solid filler like grits, & slightly compressing the loads, keeping everything tight...
Old October 10, 2011, 03:32 PM   #35
Jim Watson

Is there a picture of this thing I have missed seeing?
Old October 10, 2011, 03:42 PM   #36
Magnum Wheel Man

I'll have to get a "Frankenstein" pic... I think I had a thread somewhere, but haven't taken a pic yet... it's ugly as a bull dog... the rifle / shot gun was built by my buddy just to keep busy, & use up some of his spare parts... it's a Manlicker Berthie ( totally blew that spelling ) action, an old Mossburg shotgun stock, a 54 caliber muzzleloadder barrel, & a bunch of futzing... I told him I'd take it off his hands sight unseen, just cause he's a buddy, & can use the money to buy more parts... the barrel is rifled ( slow twist ) & chambered for 32 ga +, wears a bead front sight on a shortie ramp, & has a drift adjustable rear notch sight... the box mag was completely custom & hold 2 shells plus one in the chamber...

I fugured I could probably deer hunt in shotgun zone... though I have better weapons to use on deer, just bought it to help him out, & to shoot a bigger than 50 cal gun... he made the sizing & seating dies, as well as the bullet molds... I had to come up with the loads...
Old November 21, 2011, 08:23 AM   #37
Magnum Wheel Man

loaded up 7 more cartridges... went a different route this time...

no filler, & used Trailboss... found a load recipe for 25 grain of Trailboss with a 400ish bullet for 50-70... so I tried 20 grains of Trailboss with both bullet weights, & tried tumble lubing with Alox...

my 1st 5 cartridges, were the smaller bullet, & all the cartridges were different COL's as the bullet is a little short, & I need the cartridge stretched a bit to feed through the box, so I was working my COL out to the max for the bullet...

I started with the shortest cartridge & shot a target at 30 yards ( remember last time I couldn't find even my target backer... a 55 gallon drum in 4 shots, at 50 yards ) I was amaized, as I hit the 1" bullseye... the remaining 4 shots netted me a group about 3" ( the sights are pretty crude, with just a shotgun bead in front, & a windage driftable rear notch )

next were the 430 grain bullets ( I had 2 loaded, still with 20 grains of Trailboss, & no filler... BTW I used magnum pistol primers... the 32 ga brass shells are made for pistol primers )... 1st shot went to the 1" bullseye, again at 30 yards, 2nd shot about 1.5" from the 1st shot...

shooting big bores are cool... no pressure signs on my cases, so I think I'll try 25 grains for next time... but will be working up loads using Trailboss, & no filler for a trial this next spring, with both bullets... it looks like the rifle might stabilize those 430 grainers ???
Old November 21, 2011, 09:09 AM   #38
BPowderkeg

my choice of filler was corn meal way back when i was making loads for my Springfield trap door 45-70.