The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 29, 2009, 08:38 PM   #1
MTT TL

Which Caliber for Gator?

My National Geographic came the other day and it had short piece in it about gator hunting. I have never hunted gators in my life but it got me to thinking about it. The picture (blurry) showed what looked like a long barrel Ruger Blackhawk shooting the gator in the head at close range after drawing him to the boat.

Anyway I was wondering what you guys that hunt gator use and why. Also if anyone else read the piece and can identify the revolver I was wondering about that also.
Old October 29, 2009, 09:07 PM   #2
DRice.72

A shoulder fired rocket launcher. If I were forced to use a handgun. One that would take three hands to hold!
Old October 29, 2009, 09:38 PM   #3
sserdlihc

Use a big knife and a whole lot of balls!
Old October 29, 2009, 10:20 PM   #4
Bigjim3

Which caliber for gator.. Sounds like a trick question.. Thats something I would not hunt myself. But I would go with a 12ga slugs or buck shot. And hope for the best. To many teeth for me to be hunting. And whats the bait???
Jesus according to Luke:22:36: Then said he unto them, ,,,,,, and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one......... Thomas Jefferson: "No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
Old October 29, 2009, 11:14 PM   #5
Swampghost

Actually this is not really a firearm (as most of you know it). We use 'bangsticks', it's a chamber on the end of a pole. I like 12 ga.

For bait we usually use past due chickens that are available at your local grocery store. Leave them in the sun and they turn pretty quickly and gators love them.

A gators brain is small, towards the back of the head and V shaped. It's also a very primitive animal. If you don't know what you're doing, you can be severely injured.

The sport is not for lightweights which is why I now just run the boat.
Old October 29, 2009, 11:44 PM   #6
Lawyer Daggit

Are you using a spear fisherman's hand spear with power head or something improvised
Old October 30, 2009, 12:36 AM   #7
Swampghost

Years ago I was a machineist/ engineer developing powerheads for commercial fisheries. Yep, most of what you see on TV is bogus, those guys don't take many chances on losing $1K fish.

Daggit, everything is different underwater. Yes, the original BangStick was just a pole with a chamber at the end. Way back they tried the 30-06, .303, .357 and some weird stuff like a .38 with a .44 case over the round.

Later they were attached to the spears of "addict guns". These were popular in the 70's. Custom built guns powered by CO2. Shark hunting was at it's peak here from '67 to '72. Everybody wanted a sharktooth necklace. I helped and used 12 Ga.

Today powerheads are mostly used by commercial divers for food purposes. I don't know what they use anymore. A .357 shold devastate most food fish and shock many more around it.
Old October 30, 2009, 03:02 AM   #8
bswiv

The short answer: Bangstick, with a .357 being more than sufficent.

The long answer:

The head of a gator is hard, small brain and lots of bone. What you have heard about bullets bouncing off of them is true to a extent on the really big ones.

I have on more than a couple of occasions set the bangstick off to far forward with the result that the bullet simply bounces off the skull. As stated before you want to hit them right at the base of the skull where it joins the spine not actually in the head.

We use reloads most of the time with a 180 grain rifle bullet like would be used in a .35 Remington. ( Yes I know the standard is a 200 grain in the .35 but you can get 180s.) The reason is that it will not expand and the shape of it allows it to penetrate better. This is not a issue on smaller ones but when you get up to the 10 foot and over ones there can be some meat to pass through before it hits the spine.

In addition to the obvious safety concern generated by the fact that a bullet can bounce off a gator skull there is a Florida regulation that prohibits the use of pistols and the like to dispatch gators. Other states may be different.

As for bait. We do not use it. For a lot of reasons which I can go into if you are really interested...........
Old October 30, 2009, 04:59 AM   #9
wpcexpert

Oh come on guys. Gators aren't that bad. IF I were to ever hunt gators, it would be with a bowfishing rig and a .22 LR. It would be sporting, challenging, and a helluva rush. No need for some gigantic cartridge to destroy that good meat and hide. 9mm would do just fine too
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old October 30, 2009, 07:08 AM   #10
GeauxTide

22LR

An old Cajun trapped gators on our Duck Lease in the LA marsh in a high sided "mud boat". They were trapped with a hook embedded in a chicken thigh attached to a 14' cane pole. He use his old 22 rifle because he wanted no damage to the hide. He was shooting straight down at about 10 feet.
Old October 30, 2009, 07:24 AM   #11
MTT TL

Quote:
In addition to the obvious safety concern generated by the fact that a bullet can bounce off a gator skull there is a Florida regulation that prohibits the use of pistols and the like to dispatch gators.
The photo in NG was taken in LA. I don't know what the rules are there but I can see the concern. That would have to be a pretty thick skull for a .44 mag round to bounce off of though.

Ok so this is bang stick? I think I have seen them used for humane livestock dispatch.

Old October 30, 2009, 07:49 AM   #12
zombieslayer

Growing up, we always used a .357 bang stick
Old October 31, 2009, 07:31 PM   #13
Para Bellum

9x19mm FMJ or 100gr Soft point (S&B or Hirtenberger FL).
Old October 31, 2009, 07:57 PM   #14
JohnKSa
Staff

I'd use FMJ if you're going to use a pistol round. In TX you can shoot them using pistols--catch them with hooks, pull them in close and shoot them in the brain.
Old November 1, 2009, 03:52 PM   #15
simonkenton

The Minske-Laarson 409 Harpoon Gun gets the job done.
Old November 1, 2009, 04:00 PM   #16
dreamweaver

Quote:
Oh come on guys. Gators aren't that bad. IF I were to ever hunt gators, it would be with a bowfishing rig and a .22 LR.

if you really want a challenge, jump in the water with a knife. fair fight that way.
Old November 1, 2009, 04:09 PM   #17
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
if you really want a challenge, jump in the water with a knife. fair fight that way
Fair fight is to bail off into the water with just yer wits and swim trunks and wrestle the mucker to shore where the roll of tape awaits... That is how I do it ever since losing my knife...
Brent
Old November 1, 2009, 04:16 PM   #18
hardluk1

Mtt tl many a gator has meet its death to a good oll 22 rifle and don't ask how i know this. Use a top water plug and just tease or pull them right up to the boat or maybe 10 feet then shoot them.The brain is small for sure but the impact even if not died can stun them enough to grab the nose/mouth and cut the neck/ spinal cord right at the bend in the neck when bent over a boats side.
Old November 2, 2009, 03:06 PM   #19
hardluk1

An older guy (34) that worked for my dad was the one that started haul'n me to the woods when young(13) I do remember him and one more gator getter use to try to bait or wait out a gator to shoot it but would also flip a coin to see who would go down and place a rope loop over the gators head and then pull it up. They would swim right into the gator cave with it. They still have all there fingers too.
Old November 2, 2009, 09:01 PM   #20
oneounceload

bang sticks where I live come in two flavors - 357 and 44 mag - either will work properly when placed appropriately
Old November 2, 2009, 09:16 PM   #21
wyobohunter

Disclaimer - I've never hunted (or even seen) a gator... But if I were going gator huntin' and didn't have an experienced lizard hunter to go with I'd take the same thing I like for Halibut... bangstick - only a bigger one .
Old November 3, 2009, 11:33 AM   #22
wpcexpert

Quote:
you really want a challenge, jump in the water with a knife. fair fight that way.
Have. Bailed out of the boat onto a 7 footer. we were in about 2-3 feet of water so I had my footing. Didn't kill it though. Had my buddy jerk me back up in the boat just as I let go. Don't know why, just wanted to feel the power. Dangerous...very, but had been planning it for some time. It swam off in a hurry.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old November 3, 2009, 12:45 PM   #23
Scout

Back before it was legal, I have it on good authority that the .22 lr was commonly used to dispatch an alligator on a bush hook. The .22 was less likely to attract the law and plenty at close range to the brain. Or so I hear...
Old November 4, 2009, 01:09 PM   #24
SCcdp

I have friends here in SC that have killed them with a variety of pistol cartridges including 40S&W, 45ACP, 357 and 44 mag. Everyone here uses pistols during the season just for ease of use and space. I've been on a couple hunts where gators were dispatched and the caliber doesn't seem to be as important as shot placement! Also, a sharpened bush axe is the great equalizer...always always always sever the spinal cord. I've seen numerous videos and heard a number of stories about "dead" gators coming back to life!!
Not something you want in the boat with you!!!
Old November 4, 2009, 02:44 PM   #25
Buzzcook

Quote:
Disclaimer - I've never hunted (or even seen) a gator... But if I were going gator huntin' and didn't have an experienced lizard hunter to go with I'd take the same thing I like for Halibut... bangstick - only a bigger one .
You must go for those big halibuts. I've heard more than one story about a boat being wreaked by a 400+ pound halibut.
The 40 pound ones we pull out of Puget Sound are big enough for me.