The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 31, 2009, 06:58 PM   #1
Gregory Gauvin

Rock Island Armory...whooa

I own a Springfield GI 1911, got it a few years back with about 50 rounds through it for $390. By far, it is my favorite pistol. I also own a PT 1911, picked it up for $430 used with one box of ammo through it - although I haven't shot it yet, its quality and finish does not compare to the Springfield even with the bells and whistles. I've had to adjust the overtravel and pretravel, tighten up the front sight and locktite it in...replace grips...I've had it all apart, polished the hammer hooks and improved the trigger but the machining marks and crappy blued finish makes me want to trade it in for a Kimber Custom II, which I might do.

However, when I was in the store I really took a look at these Rock Island Armory GI pistols. For the price, how can that be beat? How accurate are these things compared to say a Springfield GI? I'm having a hard time deciding between a RIA and another Springfield GI. The only thing I notice is that the RIA feels a little bit sharper on the corners (tang safety and such) and the thumb safety doesn't feel as positive as a Springer. A used Springfield can be had for the price of one of these things new....
Old August 31, 2009, 07:09 PM   #2
digdeep74

rock is a good gun for the money

Rock island is an excellent chioce for the money!I have personally owned one ,349$ +tax a year ago.
Springfield has an excellent reputation for customer service but ivan at armscor would give them a run for there money.
As for the accuracy of the rock i would give it a 9 out of 10 .I had absolutely no problem with 2 " groups at 25 yards .
Old August 31, 2009, 08:33 PM   #3
pincher

I've got a Springfield mil-spec and a Rock Island GI. I love my Springer but the Rock Island is a nice pistol.
As far as accuracy go's the Rock ain't bad, I would give it a 9 out of 10 also.
Old August 31, 2009, 08:55 PM   #4
81aggie

I bought a RIA compact a couple weeks ago and have been happy with it. I'd been in the market for a 1911 but figured I was gonna have to wait due to the prices and the RIA's I found at the shop I was at were all under $500. It's my first 1911 and my first .45 so I'm still learning the gun, but am pleased with how it shoots. Haven't shot it over 15 yards yet but it gives me decent groups and the recoil isn't as bad as I was expecting from .45 ACP. I think it's a keeper.
Old August 31, 2009, 09:03 PM   #5
orionengnr

About three years ago I bought a Charles Daly (same thing, manufactured by Armscor and sold as Armscor/Charles Daly/RIA).

Mine was a jammo-matic. Sold it to a guy who worked at Bass Pro--his father in law was a gunsmith. He was happy--got it cheap. I was happy--to be rid of it.

Maybe everything has changed since then. I hope so, but they won't be getting any more of my money.
Old August 31, 2009, 09:23 PM   #6
speedsixman

orionengnr -

Did you notice who manufactured the magazine(s?) for the Charles Daly? I just received one I bought on Gunpusher, and it has a Mecgar magazine in it.

I haven't shot the gun yet, but just loading the magazine, it appears that it holds the top round or two cockeyed. I expect it to have feeding problems with that magazine.

Myron
Old August 31, 2009, 09:32 PM   #7
EnoughGUN

I was looking at the RIA 1911s the other day. I am not a big 1911 fan but they seem nice for the money. I am just glad someone is making a good 1911 for a reasonable price. This bs of 1911s for 2 or 3 grand is just insane. I don;t care if it is all steel of requires more work/machining etc then other guys those prices are just out of control. You can buy a motorcycle for around 3k for heavens sake and I am fairly certain there is a lot more expensive material and machine work in a bike then a 1911.
Old August 31, 2009, 10:39 PM   #8
MosinM38

I think the ones labeled "Rock island Armory" are better quality? later production than the Daly's. At least I here of far less problems.

My Armscor (High standard) which is the same as RIA, has a jamming problem. But it's probably something simple a gunsmith can fix.

It does group good though. When benching it, 2.75" groups are relatively easy. I'm a poor handgun shot, so I figure cut off 3/4 to 1 full inch and that's what a handgun is capable of.

I look at it and dad's Springfield...BOTH are good guns.
Old August 31, 2009, 11:31 PM   #9
bdb benzino

I just recently bought a High Standard Crusader Compact which is the officer model made by Armscore, I put around 400 rounds through her in the last 3 weeks to see if it can be trusted for carry. I had one failure to return to battery in the first 35 rounds and that was it, this thing is awsome!! I had an older CD FS feild 1911 and it worked with no FTF or FTE's but it was not near as smooth, tight, or as well finished as the new one. The little officer model is extremely accurate for its size as well. Kudos RIA!!
Old September 1, 2009, 02:39 AM   #10
srt 10 jimbo

Centerfiresystems.com They got a new batch in for$349
Old September 1, 2009, 08:07 AM   #11
Old Timer

I have a Springfield Mil-Spec and an RIA GI. With the exception of the stainless steel of the Springer they are hard to tell apart. I tend to favor the Springer just because I have had it longer, but I can't discern any difference in accuracy or reliability with the exception of the fact the Springer doesn't like Federal Hydro-Shock ammo. I think the nose is too flat for the feed ramp.
Old September 1, 2009, 11:22 AM   #12
txstang84

Hey Jimbo, I just checked that website, it shows $359 now...guess they might as well squeeze out another $10, huh?
Old September 1, 2009, 11:37 AM   #13
srt 10 jimbo

Capitolist plot to take over 911's:barf:
Old September 1, 2009, 03:28 PM   #14
Gregory Gauvin

Thank guys. I really have not heard much negative things about these RIA. How is the finish? I hear it is parkerized...but the gun I held seemed to be more of a black oxide finish over traditional parking. I'm having a tough time deciding whether to pick one up or get me a Kimber Custom II.
Old September 1, 2009, 06:02 PM   #15
WC145

Quote:
Thank guys. I really have not heard much negative things about these RIA. How is the finish? I hear it is parkerized...but the gun I held seemed to be more of a black oxide finish over traditional parking. I'm having a tough time deciding whether to pick one up or get me a Kimber Custom II.
The RIAs are solid, rugged guns. I recently got a GI .38 Super and it is surpisingly nice - tight, accurate, a nice even finish, and feeds FMJ and HP equally reliably. I suggest skipping the Kimber and buying two RIAs, or one RIA and a bunch of ammo.
Old September 1, 2009, 06:39 PM   #16
whippoorwill

Quote:
I'm having a tough time deciding whether to pick one up or get me a Kimber Custom II.
Really?? If money's no object, then get you a Kimber. IMO (and probably fact), there's no comparison in quality. The Kimber's way ahead.
Old September 1, 2009, 07:14 PM   #17
skoro

Rock Island Armory

I bought a RIA compact 1911 several months ago and I'm very pleased with it. Had to send it back for a minor teething problem, but they had it back to me in 8 days and it runs like a Swiss watch now. It's surprisingly accurate for a 3.5" barrel and a lot of fun to plink with.

The Rocks are really a best buy in the 1911 market.
Old September 1, 2009, 07:52 PM   #18
mnhntr

I owned an RIA for a while before selling to buy an STI. It was a very good gun and I would have kept it if I could have. I had 300rds down range and the only problem was the mecgar mag. I used Wilson Combat mags and it ran flawlessly.
Old September 1, 2009, 09:03 PM   #19
stolivar

I love both of mine

I have the FS Tactical and the Compact.

steve
Old September 1, 2009, 09:12 PM   #20
rsxr22

indeed they are a well built pistol for the money. If i were looking for a entry line 1911 though, i would spend a little more and get an STI. It is dressed up like the PT1911, but has a much better finish and trigger
Old September 1, 2009, 09:27 PM   #21
ZeSpectre

For me the 1911 platform guns are just range toys.
(but pretty ones )

My rock-solid reliable Charles Daly

My initially-slightly-fussy but now "broken in" and reliable RIA Tactical in Nickel.

As I said, they've been range-only toys but they do run well and the quality seems pretty good (especially for the price range).
Old September 2, 2009, 05:46 AM   #22
Xanatos

I've shot my friends, but the gun keeps jamming on the 1st or 2nd round. It seems like it could be a magazine issue (we haven't had time to test his gun with other magazines yet). Otherwise, it seems a fairly well built 1911 for the price tag.
Old September 2, 2009, 06:14 AM   #23
mega twin

400 rounds

My Rock has only 400 rounds into the 500 round break in period.
At this time ,it has had zero malfunctions.
I am happy with it,and at 400 rounds per year don't expect to wear it out in my lifetime.
Old September 2, 2009, 06:51 AM   #24
ZeSpectre

Xanatos said:
Quote:
I've shot my friends, but the gun keeps jamming
You shot your friends? Wow I'm glad you aren't my friend
Old September 2, 2009, 06:18 PM   #25
whippoorwill

Quote:
You shot your friends? Wow I'm glad you aren't my friend
Some folks get really ticked off when their gun jams!