The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 31, 2008, 01:36 PM   #1
Bowhunter57

Inlines and roundballs?

I used the "search" feature and came up empty, so I'll ask.

Has anyone used a patched roundball in an inline muzzleloader?
What were your results?
How accurate are they?

I have a CVA Optima Pro .50 caliber with a 1:28 twist. So, I'm curious as to what that much spin will do to a roundball. Typically, a roundball rifle has a 1:66 or 1:72 twist and conicals need more spin to stabilize them in flight....therefore the quicker spin rate/twist in my inline as that's what it's intended to use. However, I'm looking for a less expensive projectile for groundhogs.

Thank you, Bowhunter57
Old August 31, 2008, 01:47 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

I've shot round patched round balls out of my Enfield Musketoon which prefers minie balls. Even at 25 yards, I had a very bad group. Stick with conicals.
Old August 31, 2008, 02:18 PM   #3
Hawg

With a 1:28 twist forget it. If you want cheap bullets cast your own conicals.
Old August 31, 2008, 03:01 PM   #4
Pahoo

Quote:
Hawg Haggen + 1: With a 1:28 twist forget it. If you want cheap bullets cast your own conicals.
Twist is just to fast for a PRB or Sabot RB. You might get away with down loading on a 1:48 but not a 1:28. Won't hurt anything to try but don't expect the performance you are looking for. Read some of Sam Fadala's books as he explains what is happening to the round ball, quite well.

Be Safe !!!
Old August 31, 2008, 09:52 PM   #5
arcticap

Some of the deeper groove fast twist inlines can shoot prb's pretty well if it's not loaded with too much powder. The lower velocity theoretically reduces the RPM's to stabilize the ball. The Green Mountain barreled Knights, maybe the Remington 700 ML and others can reportedly shoot them. It could also have to do with having deeper grooves so that the ball won't strip the rifling, along with the lower powder charge. And 50 yards might be close to the maximum yardage for accuracy.
Since every rifle's characteristics and loading is different, it's worth experimenting with.
Also, Hornady makes a sabot with a "hard" round ball called the "Hard Ball" that might be able to be duplicated with the right ball/sabot combination.
In the very old days before conicals were invented, some rifle makers competed for military contracts with their fast twist barreled guns. They didn't win the contracts, but they must have seen some promise during their own testing, and they were certainly ahead of their time.
Old September 1, 2008, 08:52 AM   #6
Wild Bill Bucks

Never had any luck with round balls, but I did buy some BUFFALO BALL-ETS
once that shot pretty well at 100 yards through a 1 in 28 barrel. I had to bring the charge down to 70 grains in my 50 cal. or the groups were way out. Best group I ever shot with these was a 1 1/2" group of 3 shots though. Not sure thats what you want for ground hogs. They aren't much higher than buying round balls, and do shoot a lot better.
Old September 1, 2008, 09:09 AM   #7
Bowhunter57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill Bucks
Never had any luck with round balls, but I did buy some BUFFALO BALL-ETS
That was another question, as I've been curious as to their preformance abilities. I don't have a problem with lower powder charges to attain accuracy. I was simply attempting to find a lower cost projectile than power belts or saboted bullets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by articap
Also, Hornady makes a sabot with a"hard" round ball called the "Hard Ball" that might be able to be duplicated with the right ball/sabot combination.
articap,
This might be a solution. I was just looking at the Hornady website, checked for replies on this forum and read your reply about them.

Worse case scenario, I'll just purchase some lead buffalo bullets, but they're not much cheaper than saboted bullets. So, I may end up casting some of my own.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
Old September 1, 2008, 10:52 AM   #8
Pahoo

Quote:
I was simply attempting to find a lower cost projectile than power belts or saboted bullets.
I Agree as it's not cheap shooting what I call "Belts and Pellets", in part, that is why I shoot loose powder and run my own lead. I'm always on the lookout for molds on various type of conicals. I run about twice a year depending on our needs for conicals and round balls. Round balls are fairly safe and consistant but the conicals vary by how hard I push them and what I'm shooting. One of my favorite is the Maxi-Hunter for hunting as well as 225grn. Buffalo Bullet; saboted and the Maxi-Ball. If you want lower cost shooting, you run your own lead. At some point, consider shooting a traditional in a slower twist and PRB. Loose powder in 40-70 grains.

Target
For your twist, might I suggest finding a mold for a .44 Pistol bullet in about 240 or larger grain. Semi wad cutter or full wad cutter in a 50/45 sabot. You can do the same in a .45 pistol bullet. Remove any lube. I bought these in 500 count bulk as I do not have this mold myself and don't need at this time. Then run your own lead. You might be able to find a deal on some that are already made and remove the lube. These work well for me. Years ago, I shot with an old timer that just shot a plain slug that he ran and it shot extremely well. Wish I could have inherited that mold. Lee also makes a Real mold in two weights but I have not had much luck with these.

Be Safe !!

Last edited by Pahoo; September 1, 2008 at 10:53 AM. Reason: spelling
Old September 1, 2008, 03:01 PM   #9
arcticap

Bulk sabots can be purchased direct from these 2 major manufacturers.

http://www.mmpsabots.com/

http://www.harvesterbullets.com/sabots.htm

Harvester Sabots Direct 800-922-6287

MMP sells some for various size .45 bullets including .458's, and both sell easier loading sabots and brand new 10mm/.50's that allow the much lighter weight 10mm bullets (.40 caliber) to be fired with a .50 caliber sabot. Maybe a .39 - .40 caliber round ball will fit into this sabot too? These may not be listed on the websites yet, but they're available if you ask.
If you ever go to gun shows or tag sales, you can sometimes find great bargains on old open boxes of [lead] bullets to try out.
Even shooting bore size conicals requires experimentation, and their accuracy can improve when shooting them with wool wad (bore buttons) over the powder (just like with patched round balls).
I save wax board from juice cartons to cut out and use as over powder wads in both smoothbores and rifles instead of wool wads.
Before you go through the expense of buying a mold to cast a new bullet or bore size conical, at least try a similar weight bullet first to see how that weight will shoot from your gun.
Old September 1, 2008, 07:46 PM   #10
hillbille

I own a knight and a pursuit lt, at the range I have shot round balls to sight my scope in at 50 yds while it won't split holes at that range I could keep them in softball size area. out at 100 yds it was a different story I might get 2 or 3 shots on a paper plate then fly one off by 6-10 inches any direction then back in plate then off. at 50-75 yds they may be ok anything over that you will probubly not get that humane kill you want, as it may go from dead on to 8-10 inches off.
Old September 2, 2008, 07:54 AM   #11
sundance44s

Inlines with 1 in 28 twist barrels ....Nothing but flustrateing with round ball .:barf:
Old September 2, 2008, 02:43 PM   #12
cbm1948

I was trying to approach it from the other angle. I wanted to get a sabot to shoot in a 1 in 54 twist, no go. It will shoot a RB accurately all day, if I do my job, but would not do anything with a Sabot. Two different animals for two different purposes. Good Luck.
Clint