The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 13, 2006, 07:20 PM   #1
mathman

870 Marine Magnum Question

Does the 870 Marine Magnum have the 'better' parts that the 870 Police has...or is it just an Express with a different coating on the metal? Also, does it have that awful safety lock?

Just curious...thanks.
Old June 14, 2006, 01:30 PM   #2
mathman

No one has a Marine Magnum (recently purchased)?

DFariswheel...I know you're lurking...
Old June 14, 2006, 02:12 PM   #3
Omaha-BeenGlockin

The MM has upgraded parts unique to itself---one look at Midway's part selection will show that.

It will or will not have the J-lock depending on year of manufacture---easily replaced if you don't like it.
-------Metallica
Old June 14, 2006, 02:30 PM   #4
NINE

Old June 14, 2006, 02:31 PM   #5
NINE

I have had my 870 MM for about 8 years now. It looks as good as the day I bought it. This finish is outstanding. Super smooth action.
Old June 14, 2006, 02:49 PM   #6
mathman

I guess I'm kind of wondering if the trigger assembly is plastic or aluminum and if it has the machined extractor...things like that...of course, they all used to...but I'm talking about recent ones.

I have a Police model that I really like and don't think that I could 'go back' to the cheaper express...even though I know it'll last a long time. Life is just too short for me to buy something that is 'lesser'...no offense to anyone!

Thanks
Old June 14, 2006, 02:58 PM   #7
NINE

If you have time to wait, I'll head down to SIR this weekend and give the one on the shelf a good eye balling for you. (current model)
Old June 14, 2006, 03:49 PM   #8
Dfariswheel

"As far as I know" (note the qualifier, because I haven't see a factory-fresh MM recently):

The Magnum Marine is basically just the Express Synthetic 18", exactly like the model 25077, except the MM has a satin nickel plated finish.
These are "mirror images", one model satin nickel, the other with the bead blasted blue finish.

All the "special" parts for the MM are simply nickel plated, thus the special factory numbers.

This means that like all the Express models, the trigger plate is plastic, and unless Remington has discontinued it as reported, it'll have the locking safety.

Where I stand on this is, unless you have a real need for the anti-corrosion feature of the satin Nickel Magnum Marine, and can live with the bright finish, I'd either save the money and buy the 25077, OR I'd buy the top-of-the-line Police model.

Not to be advertising for anyone, but we now have an available source for real discount pricing on genuine Remington Police guns.

In some cases, this sources Police gun prices are very near Magnum Marine pricing, or possible even LESS depending on where you buy the MM.

The source is more or less selling Police guns as a hobby, and prices can be astoundingly good.

Remington Police Guns.
Kevin Wells
Discreet Ordnance
[email protected]

A number of buyers on other forums have done business with Kevin and report fast, very good no-problem service, and prices too good to pass up.
Old June 14, 2006, 05:24 PM   #9
mathman

Thanks Dfariswheel and others too!
Old June 16, 2006, 07:56 AM   #10
Blackwater OPS

The MM also has the stock mag extension, but despite the fact that I love my MM finish, the police has better parts, the MM has the express crapola with the j lock and plastic trigger guard. Really though it does not bother me at all, I like the finish quite a bit.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")