The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 29, 2006, 02:09 PM   #1
InSoMNiaX23

Night Sight Question

I am looking at having night sights installed on a USP compact. I don't plan on owning too many more handguns so am not really interested in purchasing the HK sight tool or one of the Universal ones. I only know of one gunsmith here in the St. Louis area and he wants to charge me "more than $50 but less than $100" in labor. I'm trying to get a baseline as far as price goes to have someone do this. I have searched TFL read several recommendations to drift them out with a punch by myself, but I am hesitant to mar the finish on my slide and/or damage the sights themselves. Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Old May 29, 2006, 07:19 PM   #2
Harry Bonar

night sights:

Dear Shooter:
I really like a tritium/white dot front and a black Novak "ghost ring" rear for combat (serious combat).
The last thing we need in a gunfight is taking time to line up dots!
Front sight!
But, I take issue with all who say, "blur your target once he is determined to be deserving of deadly force." I want to, yes, have good alignment with the "target" but, I also want to see the actions of my target! I want to see that "muzzle shine" of his gun before I fire. I want to see what he's doing and if he is deserving of deadly force. You never, never want to kill a man if he hesitates, draws a breath or really is going to shoot! In a real gunfight the target will seem to go into slow-motion (tachypsychia) and you will seem to have "super speed."
I will help you - at ranges of 3 to 5 paces (real gunfight range) draw and point your pistol slightly in front of you with both eyes open - you will see two of your pistols - put him in the middle before even going into Weaver stance and fire! Center hit every time!
Relax! This is the secret of real life gunfighting - be relaxed and confident in your weapon and more so in yourself to be the victor!
Getting mad, or scared, or tightened up will slow you and get you killed. Evidentally, your attacker is all of those things! Be confident - at this range you don't need sights - and by all means, if it comes to this, fire until he's down for good - many real combat confrontations you will shoot your pistol empty! Sorry to get drawn out -----Harry B.
Old May 29, 2006, 07:52 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

You might check with Nu-Line Guns:
Nu-Line Guns Inc
8150 County Road 4055, Rhineland, MO 65069
(573) 676-5500
Nu-Line used to be on Caulks Hill Road in Harvester, MO in St Charles county.

OR, heres the American Handgunner Magazine Top gunsmiths for Missouri.

Ed Brown
43825 Muldrow Tr., P.O. Box 492,
Perry, MO 63462;
(573) 565-3261, FAX (573) 565-2791;
web site: www.edbrown.com

Terry K. Kopp
Rt. 1, Box 224 F, Lexington, MO 64067;
(660) 259-2636

Ron Power
29739 Hwy J, Gravois Mills, MO 65037;
(573) 372-5684, FAX (573) 372-5799;
e-mail: [email protected]

THE SHOOTERS SHOP
Neil Wiggans
19241 State Hwy. RA, Atlanta, MO 63530; (660) 239-4346FAX (660) 239-4390

Given that I've been retired for a while, $50 to $100 sound kind of high to me.
Old May 30, 2006, 08:15 PM   #4
InSoMNiaX23

Thank you both for the advice. I am going to have to look those places up. I didn't realize it was this hard to find a gunsmith. As far as the nightsights go, I don't know how much I need them, but since this gun is primarily for home defense, I thought it would be a nice addition and at the very least, aid in finding it in a dark room. Thanks again for the information.