The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 18, 1998, 06:44 PM   #1
Rob Pincus

Someone pulled that term out on my today referring to an older Ruger Bolt action and I had no clue what they were talking about.

Someone care to explain it to me? (like which years or ser# ranges are "flat bolts" and any palpable differences between there and "regular" bolt Rugers.)

Thanks
Old December 18, 1998, 07:18 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Rob, I don't really remember what, if any, differences there were and don't actually recall ever working on one where that came into play. Ruger stopped making the flat bolts in 1972 or 73 I think. I don't have a serial number breakdown on them. Maybe one of the other guys can tell us a little more about them. George
Old December 18, 1998, 07:25 PM   #3
Rob Pincus

Thanks George, glad to hear that it isn't some major thing.
I know about as much about the history of bolt rifles as Col. Walter Kurtz knew about braiding his own hair.

------------------
-Essayons
Old December 21, 1998, 10:00 PM   #4
Rob Pincus

George,

Could you describe how one could tell the difference between the two bolts?

I'm trying to figure out if I have one. The Ser# was inconclusive based on your last info, in taht it was apparently manufactured in 1973!

Thanks
Old December 23, 1998, 12:23 AM   #5
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Rob, I've been racking my brain and looking through everything I have on Rugers and I can't remember much in the way of differences. The flat-bolt did have a bolt handle that was flat on top and bottom but nothing else really stands out to me. If I come up with anything more like serial numbers, etc. I'll let you know. George
Old December 23, 1998, 12:52 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

I may be on the wrong track, but when the Ruger M77 was first introduced (1968), it featured a prominent "dog leg" style bolt which was reminiscent of the British Enfield rifle. Bill Ruger liked it so much, he patented it (Des. 218,304). Few others, including employees, shared Ruger's enthusiasm and it was the most disliked feature of the M77.

Forward to 1970. In steps Leonard Brownell (of Brownell fame), one of the few whom Ruger trusted for taste. Ruger challenged Brownell to design a new bolt handle and Brownell's submission was adopted the day after being presented to Ruger. That bolt handle was short lived and in 1971, to facilitate casting, Ruger eliminated the hollow in the bolt handle and the bolt took its third and final form.

Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt
Old December 23, 1998, 02:06 AM   #7
Rob Pincus

thanks Gary. If your date is accurate, my gun is definitely not a flat-bolt.
The bolt handle doesn't really look much different from any other bolt, so I guess I have a normal one.
Old December 30, 1998, 11:58 AM   #8
Doc Lisenby

Gary, nice explanation of the Ruger bolt handle evolution. I wondered how that happened. The Rem XP 100 has what Gallagher would call "STYLE". Would you please interpret the Latin for me?
Old December 30, 1998, 12:58 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Equity aids the vigilant and not one who sleeps upon their rights.
Old December 31, 1998, 04:07 PM   #10
olegunftr

Yes, I have an old 77 flatbolt in 250-3000 and the top of the bolt handle is flat and there is more "dog leg" in the handle also. If you see them side by side it is easy to tell.

------------------
Vinny