The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 2, 2013, 07:45 PM   #1
jason_iowa

Best Value

I have been asked a lot lately what the best value is in an "all around" shotgun. Something that can be used for field use and basic home defense from critters and other unwanted guests.

I generally recommend Benelli Nova. I have always had good luck with Benelli.

Any other suggestions for a nice gun where quality meets price at a good value? Probably between 300-800 for most of the people that have asked me so pump or auto is fine. All my shotguns are past that and more specialized so I feel like I don't have a good answer.
Old January 2, 2013, 08:07 PM   #2
idek

I don't think there's anything wrong with a Nova, but as an all-around gun, it's on the heavy side for an upland gun. Mossberg 500s and Remington 870s tend to be about 11% lighter.

And as accessory barrels go (slug barrels, short defense barrels), Mossberg is much more economical than anything else I've seen. So my all-around best-value vote would be for a Mossberg 500.
Old January 3, 2013, 07:30 AM   #3
jonnyc

Check out a Maverick 88, and spend the savings on ammo.
Old January 3, 2013, 08:05 AM   #4
jmr40

The money you save and spend on ammo will be shot up within a few trips out shooting. You'll be stuck knowing you could have had a better gun for just a little more money for a long time.

I like the 870 best, but I'd not argue that you probably get more for your money with the Benelli. It comes with sling attachment studs, 3 choke tubes vs only one on the 870 Express and is better finished. I just am too used to the 870 and shoot them better.

If buying extra barrels is in your future it is hard to beat a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 though. Not an economical option with the Nova.
Old January 3, 2013, 11:14 PM   #5
mohead10

Not to long ago I got a new Weatherby PA-08 Upland. With the wood stock and I love it. It's a bird killer, I don't think that it heavy and it looks nice for about $375.00. IMOP alot of nice gun for the $
Old January 4, 2013, 07:45 PM   #6
BigJimP

Browning BPS Hunter model ...is the model I recommend for a good all around gun ....in a 12ga, and 26" or 28" barrel...personally I recommend a 28" barrel.../ its not a "fighting shotgun" but its fine for Defense in my opinion...

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=012&tid=211

Its selling new in my area for under $600....( I still have both of my BPS shotguns - same models / one in 12 and one in 20's that I bought in the late 1970's )....still solid guns / with probably 100,000 shells thru them by now...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...4&d=1236031619
Old January 4, 2013, 10:36 PM   #7
farmboy

The 870 Express is really one helluva deal. Available at Walmart, Bass Pro, Scheels, and Sportsman's Warehouse.

I just picked up an 870 Tactical at Sportsmans, and their rack is full. Just go take your pick.
Old January 5, 2013, 09:42 AM   #8
Cary

As a side note which ever one you purchase remember to keep it protected with some kind of rust inhibitor. This is true for any none SS gun. I have read a lot of complaints on the Internet of people having rust on their 870 Express. I'm not sure if they are more prone to rust compared to a Mossberg 500 or not. I just bought an 870 Express a few months ago and one of the first things I did is give it a good coat of Break Free CLP inside and out to prevent rust. I wasn't going to take any chances with it. I also have a Mossberg 500 and it also gets the CLP treatment. During your decision keep in mind that there is a large market of accessories for the 870 and the Mossberg 500 if you want to modify your gun any. This is not so much true with other brands.
Cary
Old January 7, 2013, 11:30 AM   #9
mach1.3

It's a nice idea to have a one-does-it-all shotgun but in the long run it never works out that way. Practically, you could get a Mossberg 500 with maybe an extra 18.5" bbl and have everything covered BUT....

if you're like most on this board--with time and as you accummulate more $$$
you will want this different shotgun or rifle or handgun. You won't necessarily NEED it but it serves a purpose better than what is in your present inventory. I do understand the idea behind a starter gun that can work for every application. Welcome to the journey, it's expensive but oh so fun---see you when you are 65.
Old January 7, 2013, 12:30 PM   #10
BigD_in_FL

+1......a "jack of all trades" or "do it all" shotgun has a tendency to do most things somewhat OK, but different guns specific to the use will always perform better.

While a riot barreled 500 might break a few clays at trap, a dedicated trap gun will perform much better, same with a gun dedicated for hunting, etc.
Old January 7, 2013, 12:44 PM   #11
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I keep a Mossy 500 for one of my HD guns. Mavericks and Remmy 870's are goo too. I have not seen a review of the Steven/Savage that is sold at chains like WalMart, but I did see them on sale for under $200. If it cycles and shoots reliably, $200 is a steal...
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old January 7, 2013, 03:51 PM   #12
shortwave

Either the Rem. 870 or Mossy 500 in a combo set with field and slug bbl.