The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 26, 2011, 07:43 AM   #1
Qtiphky

Tranportation and shipping of handgun

I will be traveling from Michigan to Florida by vehicle in a few months and it appears that all of the states I will be driving through have reciprocity with Michigan as far as honoring CCW permits. I have one for Michigan. Would it be worth my time to contact each state to re-verify this and who in each state would I contact?

On the way home I will be flying. How do I either ship my pistol or pack it in my luggage for the plane ride home?

Thanks.
Old January 26, 2011, 08:36 AM   #2
Carne Frio

1. This site has mucho info: http://www.handgunlaw.us/

2. You will need a lockable hard case for your flight. Be sure
to go your airline's web site and check out the specific rules
that they might have.
Old January 26, 2011, 12:26 PM   #3
atlctyslkr

Can you fedex a handgun to yourself? Even if you are in another state?
Old January 26, 2011, 03:23 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Can you fedex a handgun to yourself? Even if you are in another state?
Yes.

You have to follow FedEx's rules. The person who receives and signs for the package for you CANNOT open the package. Only you, the owner of the firearm, can open the package.
Old February 6, 2011, 11:40 AM   #5
Dewhitewolf

If you are traveling non-stop from Michigan to Florida, you are protected by federal law if you transport your firearms unloaded and secured in a trunk or locked container (I know there's more to it, but that's the short broad brush answer). If you make any stops between Michigan and Florida, you only have to check with that state's requirements for firearm possession. Federal law does not protect you if you are carrying this firearm, either on your person or even within the passenger compartment.

If you plan on carrying, check each state to verify that it has reciprocity; the state attorney general's website is a good starting point for research. It is your responsibility to make sure you are compliant with each state's law.

I don't know why you'd want to use fed ex to ship a firearm to yourself; sounds expensive. You can check your firearm on your flight if it's unloaded and in a locked, hard-sided container (which you can also put inside your regular luggage). Check with TSA and your airline for particular requirements.