The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 12, 2008, 11:30 AM   #1
Walipala

Marlin levergun barrel installation question

I've got a Marlin 1894 in .44mag that's about five years old. It shoots fine but it has one slight defect---and this seems to be a Marlin trait---the barrel is rotated slightly to the left, maybe a degree or so. While not something one notices looking at the rifle from a distance, when sighting down the barrel the front and rear sights are leaning slightly to the left... relative the the receiver. And I of course notice it every time I hold the gun. As I said, it's the rifle's one flaw.

I've read of people in this situation sending their rifles back to Marlin, who happily fix the problem under warrantee. I think mine is about expired though. Does anyone know if it's a difficult procedure to strip off the handguard and magazine tube, and just apply a little torque on a barrel wrench (assuming that's the tool needed) to turn the barrel slight? Here I'm obviously assuming the barrel is screwed into the receiver.

I was thinking of A) buying a tool and trying it myself, or B) finding a 'smith that has some experience with this sort of disassembly.

Any thoughts, words of caution, etc.?
Old February 13, 2008, 10:35 AM   #2
Clemson

If Marlin will fix it for free, let Marlin fix it.

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old February 13, 2008, 12:30 PM   #3
Scorch

I would actually recommend send it to Marlin over trying it yourself. Yes, you can buy the tools and do it yourself, but for one job it hardly makes sense. Plus you run the risk of damaging the firearm. And if the sights lean to the left when you look down the sights, it means the barrel would have to be loosened, and doing this would affect the headspace. Send it to Marlin, but call them first.
Old February 13, 2008, 02:12 PM   #4
Wildalaska

send it to Marlin, their service folks are wonderful.

WildwecandoittoobutmarliniscloserAlaska TM
Old February 13, 2008, 09:14 PM   #5
Walipala

Well, the question is, will they fix it for free? Dumb as it sounds, I seem to be having trouble finding my receipt for the rifle, which I bought at Big Five around five years ago. And I've had trouble getting someone on the phone over at Marlin when I tried calling. (Marlin has a five year limit on their warrantee.) I'm sure Big Five has to keep good records so maybe I could speak with them. (Or just look harder around my house. I know I did not throw it away.)

If it's out of warrantee then I will have to pay for them to repair it, plus next-day air shipment both ways. That's going to cost me a lot more than any tool I might need to buy to do the job myself.

And I don't think the one degree of rotation on a barrel could make a noticeable difference in the headspacing of a rimmed .44 cal rifle. I'd have to look further into that.

BUT... but... but...

You guys are absolutely right! I should have Marlin fix it, whatever the hassle. There is certainly the risk of me screwing up the rifle. They will do it right. Thanks for putting this into perspective.