The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 28, 2010, 06:13 PM   #26
animal

Since this got revived and it was mentioned that we have a Dr in the house … what I was getting at is a tactic of mental preparation

The idea is that numbers and quantities are emotionally neutral and training yourself to look at surroundings and actions through a single mental filter … would streamline the thought processes to remove distractions and subdue emotional impulses. I’ve attempted to do this from an early age because of seeing operating by "feelings" to be too prone to error, and because of having an affinity for numbers and formulas.

I don’t really know how to describe this …whether it is "getting too busy to get scared" as one friend described, entering a sort of altered state of consciousness, or whatever.

The "method" is an attempt at a discipline of sorts …or a mental crutch ? … to not allow feelings to get in the way of what needs to be done…also, to prepare for, and hopefully control, the adrenaline rush … so that you can remain focused on the task at hand … instead of falling into a blind fight/flight response. It seems to work, but I don’t know if I’m just fooling myself.

I’m hesitant to even describe how it "feels" when in that state beyond not feeling and being intensely focused….might end up in a full-wrap white jacket.
Old August 28, 2010, 06:27 PM   #27
Glenn E. Meyer

Extreme Fear by J. Wise is a good read on what you are describing, Animal.

The automatic emergency process is the goal of training.