The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 12, 2005, 09:17 AM   #1
Thom Rushing

Ammo jam?

I have a Savage Mark II FXP and I had a problem yesterday I was shooting bulk Federal standard velocity .22. I had a few ftf's which I know is not uncommon with bulk .22 ammo. My problem is the round would jam in the barrel and the extracter would not pull it out. After removing the rounds I could see where it was struck but it was so close to the rim that it actually bent and jammed in the barrel what can I do to fix this? I dont know if this makes any diference but this is the only ammo it has done this with. I have ran federal high velocity, remington and a few others with no problems like this. Is it the rifle or cheap ammo?

Thom
Old April 12, 2005, 03:47 PM   #2
cntryboy1289

sounds like firing pin

I would think the firing pin is jumping in its slot and not hitting the rim where it is suppose to. This same situation has been known to throw flyers in a group as well. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are trying to shoot competively. If it continues to do the same thing with this ammo, you may try some other ammo and see if it is the pin causing this. If it doesn't, I would think it was just bad ammo.
Old April 13, 2005, 04:31 AM   #3
mtnboomer

It could be soft or thin cases in the cheaper ammo or you may need to have the firing pin checked by a gunsmith as it may be a bit long.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!