The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 1, 2011, 09:39 PM   #26
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Doesn't sound abnormal but the choice of distance is a bit unusual.

The VAST majority of shots at deer will be 15-25 yards. You DO NOT want to be 4 inches high at 20 yards.

With modern, fast bows, I sight in dead on at 23 yards. I call it "hot 20". That way, I'm maybe 1" low at 10, 1" high at 20 and maybe 2" low at 30.

Naturally, these numbers vary a bit depending on equipment.

Anyway, this way you have 1 pin to 30 yards and you're never off by more than an inch or so.
Old November 1, 2011, 10:15 PM   #27
nathaniel

Quote:
The VAST majority of shots at deer will be 15-25 yards.
Around here there is really no way to stand hunt. We have to spot and stalk and the big boys dont let you get in close. If you get to 30 yards your doing amazing. Thats why Im going to keep it the way it is, I can GUARANTEE you I wont have a shot at 20 yards and If I do I can adjust my aim for the shot.
Old November 2, 2011, 12:47 AM   #28
bamaranger

common

WE're sort of wandering, but it is not unusual for a fast compound to stack pins so close together at 10 yd increments that things get complicated.

Peetza's advice of a one pin zero is sound. I do something similar, but a more close range affair, sort of a "hot 15" to use his nomenclature. My average kill shot over the years is 14 yds. I zero at 15, hold a bit high past 20, and avoid shots over 25 like the plague.

Congrats on shooting tight groups after a lay off. Spot and stalk white-tails.........I would never tag one.
Old November 2, 2011, 07:42 AM   #29
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathaniel View Post
Around here there is really no way to stand hunt. We have to spot and stalk and the big boys dont let you get in close. If you get to 30 yards your doing amazing. Thats why Im going to keep it the way it is, I can GUARANTEE you I wont have a shot at 20 yards and If I do I can adjust my aim for the shot.
Even so, you want a pin for those shots that will "never happen". Trust me, they have a way of happening.

A single pin to 30 gives you a 40, 50 and 60 yard pin with a typical 4-pin sight.

That said, few archers are capable of consistently, cleany, reliably taking deer sized animals at 40 yards and beyond under hunting conditions.

If you really feel the need to shoot those distances, I would highly recommend getting a Leupold Vendetta rangefinder. The Vendetta removes the biggest variable in long(er) range archery... range estimation. The Vendetta is a bow mounted rangefinder activated on the bow grip, insuring easy, 100% ranging of targets.

If you want to simulate hunting conditions to find your max "real" shooting range, place your target on uneven ground, make sure where you'll be standing to shoot is uneven ground, run around your house until your heart is pounding and you're out of breath, pick up your bow, draw and aim, hold at full draw for 3 minutes. Now Shoot. Any range where you can hold 6" groups is acceptable.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; November 2, 2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old November 2, 2011, 09:55 PM   #30
nathaniel

I do have a pin for those ranges. My first pin does 10, 20, and 30. I cant use the vandeta as it attaches to the bow which makes its illegal. I do have a range finder that I use. Im not trying to disagree with you at all but the way my bow shoots now is fine with me even though you may not agree with it.
Old November 3, 2011, 12:12 AM   #31
grubbylabs

Actually the 10 and 30 is kinda normal because of the arc in your arrow flight. So long as you know that you are high at 20 you can compensate for it while shooting.

I use a sliding sight and I set my sight at 30 yards and that's how I hunt. Your muzzy broad heads will work just fine for you, they are not my favorite but they have been around for so long for a reason.

If you are going to shoot for past 30 yards you need to make sure that you are very proficient and that you are only shooting at animals that don't know your their. I have learned this the hard way through experience.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old November 5, 2011, 07:49 PM   #32
Jack O'Conner

ThunderHeads make huge entrance & exit holes.

I've also had good luck with Cabela's Lazer Pro broadhead which is a very similar design.

Jack