The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 7, 2007, 06:16 PM   #1
Trinity-Nine

Log Book for Range

What is the purpose of keeping a log book when going to the range?
Does anyone keep records of their placement, ammo, conditions? Can you share a photo of such or describe how you enter your data?
Old November 7, 2007, 06:58 PM   #2
davlandrum

Trinity - I am not a benchshooter, so hopefully other, smarter people, can help you out.

What I did do though is start keeping targets from my favorite -06. I just scribble load info on them, some terribly unscientific notes about the weather, and anything else I might want to know and throw them in a file folder. I guess that would be a quick and dirty log book. This is the first year I started numbering the shots and recording time taken to shoot the whole group, so I have some idea of a clean barrel versus dirty, warm versus cold barrel.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 7, 2007, 07:09 PM   #3
hodaka

If you reload, it is a must. If not, I wouldn't know. I only shoot reloads.
Old November 9, 2007, 10:29 PM   #4
HawkeyeNRAlifer

I scrible notes at the range and then pit them in my loading book back home. I reload, so I keep notes as to what a powder/bullet combo is doing for future reference. I know long range snipers keep a logbook to keep notes on each of their shots, also for reference.
Old November 9, 2007, 10:47 PM   #5
williamd

Rifles/handguns: Keep log of loads .. firearm, scope, powder, brass, primer, bullet, date, weather, velocity (if I Chrony), accuracy (at times, the bullseye part of the target ). A simple table I keep by hand ... and plan to (some day) put it in Excel. Have data going back almost 40 years and refer to it often. Plus, it brings back the times - good and bad. Have a couple of shadow boxes with target and round mounted. Have done similar with antlers/round or horns/round on a nice piece of wood .. my trophy mounts!

Shotguns: Not much, but do keep lists of guage, powder, primers, hull, wad, bushing number, grain weight (I never trust the bushing charts) and how they went through my loaders. Get away from the problem hulls that way. Have a shadow box with my first 200 patch (skeet) and a Winc AA together ... this is the old, good AA, not the new junk! The patch also has "Rem M3200" penned on it (faded now .... me, too ).

It is a good and easy habit.
Old November 9, 2007, 11:42 PM   #6
FirstFreedom

Yep, what William said - and, it's fun to track your progress (accuracy).
Old November 10, 2007, 12:06 PM   #7
shooter_john

I keep a log book that is fashioned after our Precision Rifle Marksmen Data books at work. It has sections for calling/ plotting shots as well as a place that you can tape glue actual targets into the book. (Book is made of half sheets of paper.) I also handload, so it gives me a space to keep up with my load data too. I have a master copy that can be cut in half and assembled... if I free time I'll try and get it scanned and maybe I can dissemenate copies. I keep those books for all of my rifles that I seriously load for, and then I transcribe my data into a master loadbook that stays at the house. Also helps keep up with round count on barrels. If anyone is sincerely interested, let me know and I will try to scan copies of the pertinent info/ pages from my book and make it email-able.
Old November 10, 2007, 12:22 PM   #8
Superhouse 15

Records

I printed some target and data sheets for a couple of rifles that I handload for. It has a 1" bullseye and one inch grid squares on the top, printed info underneath. I put spaces for load data, wind and range, etc. I keep it in a binder and just put the targets in there when I'm done. Unless I shoot a group bigger than 8 1/2 X 11 I don't have any trouble. The actual target grid is like 8" by 8",lines for data underneath. Downloaded the grid target for free from somewhere and added the data lines myself.

On one rifle it was a big help when I finally glass bedded it and was still having problems.