The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 7, 2006, 01:01 PM   #1
Esquire M Busterbury

First Class 3 firearm...

Hi, I was thinking about getting into the wonderful world of select fire weapons, sofar, I'm settled on something in the .22 caliber since I HOPE that it won't be in short supply any time soon (5.56 & 7.62, i'm talking to you!) as well as cheep.

I figure a converted ruger 10/22 might be my best bet, only problem is I haven't seen many, if any.

Can anyone advise on the most economical ways to get to burn vast quantities of rimfire ammo? (get one converted or buy one already done)

And how much does a full auto .22 normally go for? I'm hoping to stay away from 10 & 15 thousand dollar guns. Can they be had for less than 2k? Can they be legally/cheaply converted?

Thanks in advance,
Esquire.
Old August 7, 2006, 03:41 PM   #2
MisterPX

First off, you as a regular Joe cannot convert a weapon to FA. Now, as far as FA 22's, you can have a 10/22, an AM180, or a M16conversion. The 10/22 will use a Norrel trigger pack, which will run you $8K+, the AM180, more than that, the M16, $11K+. Cheapest .22 is to get an M11 for $3K, and buy a 22 upper.
Old August 7, 2006, 03:48 PM   #3
shaggy

Quote:
And how much does a full auto .22 normally go for? I'm hoping to stay away from 10 & 15 thousand dollar guns. Can they be had for less than 2k? Can they be legally/cheaply converted?
No such thing as a "cheap" MG - the least expensive you'll find is an M11/9 at about $3000. As for .22 guns, you options are quite limited and most options are in the $9k+ range. First, you need to understand there is no way to legally convert a semiauto for your own personal use absent getting a manufacturing license and all that entails (not to mention the licenses and fees which will be more than $2k per year).

First is the American 180 - one of the most fun MGs is existance. It shoots at a RoF of about 27-30rds/second from drums of either 165rd, 220rd, or 275rd capacity. Cost is currently about $9k. See www.american180.com for more info on these.

There is also the registered 10-22 which currently run about $9k also. I'm sure you know what a 10-22 looks like, but these only differ in that they are properly registered and have the 3-way happy switch.

The Voere is neat, but mags are almost non-existant. You'll be lucky to find even 10rd mags.

There are a few .22 conversions for the M16, and a registered M16 can be had for about $9k-10k. I personally have the new LM-7 beltfed uper on one of my M16s, and while it works I have had some problems - still working out the bugs (see www.lakesideguns.com). The Ciener .22 kits usually work well. The nice thing about the .22 conversions for the M16 is that you can shoot in 5.56 if/when you get tired of .22. You can also convert them to 9mm, .45, 7.62, and numerous other calibers.

There are also .22 conversion kits for the M11/9mm, but I don't recommend them. while they work ok to begin with, in my experience, they start to get crapped up and have malfs after only 3-4 mags. Cleaning them out will remedy the problem, but who wants to have to clean the gun every 100rds or so?
Old August 7, 2006, 04:05 PM   #4
gunslinger555

If you cant afford it you should look at a this http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...803&hasJS=true or this
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...803&hasJS=true
Old August 7, 2006, 05:23 PM   #5
Esquire M Busterbury

Today, a small part of me died.
Old August 7, 2006, 06:05 PM   #6
VUPDblue

Quote:
Today, a small part of me died.
Roger that!

Don't you wish the NFA would finally die?