The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 12, 2005, 09:12 PM   #1
jcims

i think my chrony has ADD

Hi all.

Got the chrony out for the first time this afternoon. It was probably 4:30...the sun was still above the horizon, and the sky was as blue as could be.

I fired a magazine of 22LR over it just to see how it operated, and everything looked good...it was fun watching the numbers pop up, and i was surprised at the consistency of cheap federal 22.

Anyway, on to the confusing part. I started firing my 45ACP reloads over it, and kept getting Err1 on the screen. Book said 'not enough light or you're not firing over the center of the front sensor'. The chrony was about 8' out, and i shot about 30 rounds over it...dead nuts down the center, and the same thing. Screens on..screens off...higher...lower...didn't matter.

My stepdad brings his .357 over...i put two round over the middle, 1480 and 1520fps. Fire my SKS over it, 2350fps...back to the 22...every time i got a reading. Put five more rounds of 45 over it, and Err1 each time.

It was pretty frustrating, as the 45 reloads were all i really cared to measure.

Any thoughts? Seems odd to me that the biggest, slowest round was the one it couldn't measure. I'm going to try again tomorrow in the brighter light to see what happens.

Thanks!

Bob
Old November 12, 2005, 11:08 PM   #2
garryc

I had the same problem with 45 colt loads. I wonder if its the speed of the round. 22 is over 1000fps as are all the other rounds you fired. The only problem I ever had was 45 colt at book speeds of about 800fps. Too slow? doesn't sound right but who knows
Old November 13, 2005, 02:01 AM   #3
Wrangler5

I think Chronys are supposed to be able to clock an arrow, which is way below 45ACP velocity. My Chrony (Gamma Master, but I think their electronics are all the same) reads 230g bullets out of 45ACP down to the low 700s (that's where one of my starting loads came out) so I don't think your problem is in the unit's design.

Eight feet should be far enough from the muzzle to be past the effect of muzzle blast, although you might try moving it a few feet farther away just as an experiment. I think I read somewhere that if the unit is too close the muzzle blast can get there first and disturb the atmosphere above the sensor enough to trigger a false starting point (or something.) I wouldn't expect that to happen with skyscreens in place, but who knows? Anyway, it's an easy thing to try. All I can think of at the moment.
Old November 13, 2005, 06:01 AM   #4
mtnboomer

Try using a felt-tip barker and color your bullets black. Sometimes the sensors get a light reflection back at them from highly polished bullets and that can cause an error message. May not solve your problem but it's worth a try.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old November 13, 2005, 07:27 AM   #5
jcims

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnboomer
Sometimes the sensors get a light reflection back at them
I had wondered about that a bit. The sun was directly behind us, and i'm using Rainier plated bullets...they looked like fireballs going downrange (we could even see the shiny tail of the 7.62 from the SKS at 2300+fps). I'm going to try again midday today and see if that makes a difference...and keep a sharpie handy!

Thanks for the tips everyone!
Old November 13, 2005, 01:10 PM   #6
Thirties

"It was probably 4:30...the sun was still above the horizon, and the sky was as blue as could be."

That is part of the problem. Deep blue sky is not the ideal condition. That is why they have those diffused white "canopies" over the screens. In my PACT instruction manual, as bad as it is -- and it is indeed a badly written manual, they tell you about the blue sky problem (lack of contrast). Overcast is a better condition for the chronograph.

So, use the lids, or drape a white cloth over the triangles.

Let us know if this works.
Old November 19, 2005, 10:50 PM   #7
Alaskee

Sun Angle

The muzzle blast suggested earlier in the thread is one possibility.
Another condition that I have seen with my Chrony is that at times it will not work well if the sun is at a low angle and is shining on the Chrony. Set the Chrony up in the shadow of something (shade) and try again. Even someone standing in a safe position so that their shadow falls over it including the skyscreens will help.
Old November 20, 2005, 05:20 PM   #8
dodgestdshift

My Chrony hates blue skies. I always wait for a cloudy day.

Don N.
Old November 20, 2005, 11:29 PM   #9
Robert M Boren Sr

The coloring of the bullet works. And so does Chronying the arrows too. But what it boils down to is try shooting at various angles over the sensors, another words, if you get an error, move just a smidgeon to the right with the barrel. or left or what ever, just do slight movements. and you want the chrony at full cable lengths out. 15' or so. I have the Gamma master so I have the printer with mine and that really is a nice feature. Anyway if you need more help just drop me an email and I'll try and explain a bit better.