The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 3, 2011, 11:12 AM   #1
Zmax

Any one magna-port a 7600

Any one have experience magna-porting a Remington 7600. What would be the difference between magna-porting or a muzzle break.
Old April 3, 2011, 12:03 PM   #2
Inspector3711

Magna porting would reduce muzzle velocity a little, muzzle brake would not because the barrel is left intact. I'm not sure what the cost difference would be, magna port vs. have the barrel threaded for a brake.

Be sure to try a rifle that's ported or equipped with a brake first. The muzzle blast can be a bit much for some folks. I like my brakes but they took some getting used to, I have four now. I'm like a dog with his head out the window when I get hit with the blast. It's like surround sound vs. stereo for me. Adds to the experience.
Old April 3, 2011, 12:44 PM   #3
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Mag-Na-Port

Mag-Na-Porting is cheaper and doesn't affect cosmetics , Brakes are UGLY and LOUD ! You can remove the Barrel and send it to them and they can send it back directly to you , because the S/N is on the receiver . You can ship it in one of those cardboard tubes fairly cheaply !
Old April 5, 2011, 08:45 AM   #4
Joey V.

Port or Brake

WHat I have found is that a Port will stop the upward jump of a rifle but doesn't change the "kick" backward much if any that I can tell. The Break will reduce both recoil and muzzle jump as I call it. The Brake is VERY load and illegal in some states to use hunting I think???? Doing either can change the accuracy of the gun either way making it better or worse. If you have a good shooter don't do a thing! Buy a better recoil pad like a limb saver. You can also do what I did and buy a lead sled shooting rest. This way you can shoot a million rounds and feel nothing. In the woods you will only take one recoil to the shoulder anyway but you will not have developed the bad flinch habit from practice.
Old April 5, 2011, 07:51 PM   #5
Zmax

Thanks for all the responses. I think from what you have all said I am going to stay away from a break or porting and just get a good recoil pad.
Old April 5, 2011, 08:03 PM   #6
KBP75

Any one magna-port a 7600

I shoot a 760 and when I am shooting on a bench, I took an old pair of jeans and cut part of the leg off and put sand in a zip lock bag and had my wife sew it shut. It is not too thick, just thick enought to put between my shoulder and the rifle. This is much cheaper than a sled and I can shoot till I run out of ammo!