The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 11, 2009, 04:31 PM   #1
fast-eddie

Sears "ted Williams" 20 gauge pump shot gun w/ polychoke.

Could I get new furniture for these? I understand that they are just Winchester 1200 shotguns. I'd like to get a pistol grip to reduce recoil for my stepson(small kid). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old June 11, 2009, 05:36 PM   #2
Goatwhiskers

A pistol grip won't help very much. You'll do him a lot more good by having the stock cut off to match his stature by someone that knows what they are doing, also installing a recoil pad. When a kid tries to shoot a gun with an adult sized stock it's gonna slap the snot out of him. At worst you can plan to get him a replacement stock just a few years down the road. Here endeth the epistle. Goat
Old June 11, 2009, 05:41 PM   #3
Goatwhiskers

Well, I can't get the edit function to work for me, but try this: start him out shooting only the light trap and skeet loads. The recoil will be MUCH better if he's kinda small. And by the way, "high brass" and "low brass" has nothing to do with it. Go by the load in the shell. Goat
Old June 11, 2009, 06:18 PM   #4
BigJimP

Recoil is primarily a function of :

the amount of shot in the shell in ounces
the velocity of the shell
the weight of the gun

Decreasing the load in the shell ( go to 3/4 oz if you can find it ).
Buy a low velocity shell - like 1150 fps
Add some weight to the gun, if he can handle it ( keep it balanced between his hands ).
Or do all three .......

Or see if you can find a 28ga ..... / or consider a gas operated semi-auto in 12 or 20ga ( Beretta 390, 391 / Remington 1100 ) etc.....

Forget the pistol grip, and all that nonsense, none of that will make any difference.
Old June 11, 2009, 08:12 PM   #5
fast-eddie

thanks

Thanks, I'll shorten the stock and get a butt pad. I thought about starting him on target loads. We'll be pheasant hunting mainly, but there's plenty of time for him to warm up to heavier loads.

What about that polychoke? Is it pretty self explanatory? It just ejusts the choke by turning the dial? right.
Old June 11, 2009, 09:20 PM   #6
smoakingun

as to your original question, I have one in 12 ga and even though it is a model 1200, it is not exactly a 1200. the reciever has a different shape at the rear, a winchester stock is not a bolt on.
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old June 12, 2009, 12:09 AM   #7
SteelJM1

I think the biggest problem i have with shotgun recoil (on my 1300) is the comb of the stock. Sure the recoil itself is pretty stout, but the bite under the cheekbone is what really gets to me. I think I'm going to build up some tape and cover it in moleskin to straighten out the comb at that point.