The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 24, 2012, 05:33 PM   #1
Once Fired

Pistol vs Rifle primers question

Hi all

Easy question. I understand there are differences between the two types of primers - i.e. pistol vs riflle, among other differences as well.

I have an opportunity to buy a large number of small rifle primers, but I am just getting into reloading 9mm for my pistol. I got Remington 1 1/2 primers from the gun store on recommendation from them. They were out of the non-magnum pistol primers from CCI.

A friend is selling a ton of small rifle magnum primers - kvb5.56M a.k.a. WolfSRM.

Will these work for my situation? I would love to have versatility with my components, but not at the expense of safety, of course.

ZAG
Old June 24, 2012, 05:52 PM   #2
dacaur

Small rifle will likely give higher velocity (higher pressure). Magnum small rifle will be higher still.

The bigger problem is that they are harder, so can cause light strikes in a handgun.

I might use small rifle if thats all that I could find, but definitely wouldn't use small rifle magnum in a pistol, unless a magnum was called for already...
Old June 24, 2012, 06:12 PM   #3
William T. Watts

I wouldn't touch what you are suggesting, not a good idea! William
Old June 24, 2012, 06:14 PM   #4
DeadCenter

I have no verification of this, but have been told that a CCI 550 small pistol magnum is the same as the CCI 400 small rifle.
Old June 24, 2012, 07:19 PM   #5
slugoo

The last couple of years I've used 3,000 small rifle primers (WOLF) in 9mm and 38 special and only had 1 FTF. Not a problem, they are a little harder to install as they are slightly larger so make sure they are seated all the way down. I couldn't tell the diff between cci and russian primers. I load 40,000 rounds a year and even have some on order now to use this summer, get them and use them up. Charlie

Tags
9mm , pistol , primer , reload , rifle