The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 3, 2012, 12:16 PM   #1
TunnelRat

XDM: Night Sights?

Hi All,
I recently picked up an XDM 3.8 9mm, not compact, and I am really liking it. I've been thinking about what night sights I want to use for it and I'm not sure. Normally I go with the Trijicon sights, but I noticed the ones with the white outlines don't extend fully to the back of the slide, which I kind of want. I saw the Trijicon HD sights and they seem neat but there doesn't appear to be an outline for the rear sight and I am not sure how well they stand out. I've never had Meprolights and I think the TruGlo TFOs are cool but I always hear bad things about the tubes falling out.

Do any of you have an XDM with night sights, and if so what route did you go?

Thanks,
-TR
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 3, 2012, 12:25 PM   #2
Uncle Malice

I ordered the Meprolights for mine. Only like $78 on Amazon. Same form factor as the factory sights. Good stuff.

Make sure that you also get the Powder River Precision trigger kit. You'll thank me.
Old April 3, 2012, 12:29 PM   #3
Hoosier_Daddy

I have the Trijicon "Bright and Tough" Night Sights (Model SP01) on my 4.5" 9mm XDm. Perfectly pleased with them day and night.
Old April 3, 2012, 02:15 PM   #4
TunnelRat

Quote:
I ordered the Meprolights for mine.
Do you happen to know which model? I am getting confused because some of the pictures show the sights as the same form factor as XDM, while other look like XD. I think there is some error with some of the pictures I am looking at.

Quote:
Make sure that you also get the Powder River Precision trigger kit. You'll thank me.
I'm sure I would but I don't really have the confidence to install something like that myself. I think if I do end up doing a trigger job, which it doesn't really seem to need tbh, I would probably send it in to SA and let them do it.
Old April 3, 2012, 02:29 PM   #5
Uncle Malice

Quote:
Do you happen to know which model? I am getting confused because some of the pictures show the sights as the same form factor as XDM, while other look like XD. I think there is some error with some of the pictures I am looking at.
Yeah, I see that too. Weird. Here is exactly what I ordered from Amazon (and cheaper now too! )

Model: ML11420

The picture they have up there is weird, but the model in the details matches.

This is what they actually look like:

Quote:
I'm sure I would but I don't really have the confidence to install something like that myself
It's ridiculously easy man. They have videos on youtube and are more than happy to answer questions over the phone. I'm beyond thrilled with mine. It was a little intimidating at first, but after you watch the videos, it's like "oh.. that's simple." Of course, PRP will also do the work for you, if you're so inclined. Just have to ship it to them. Also, the trigger jobs from PRP yield a greater improvement than that from SA custom shop from what I've read - although no personal experience to quantify that.
Old April 3, 2012, 02:32 PM   #6
Japle

I've used TFOs for several years with no problems. They're bright in any level light. After 6 years on my G19, they still light up the inside of my dresser drawer at 3AM.
Old April 3, 2012, 02:39 PM   #7
TunnelRat

Quote:
It's ridiculously easy man. They have videos on youtube and are more than happy to answer questions over the phone. I'm beyond thrilled with mine. It was a little intimidating at first, but after you watch the videos, it's like "oh.. that's simple." Of course, PRP will also do the work for you, if you're so inclined. Just have to ship it to them. Also, the trigger jobs from PRP yield a greater improvement than that from SA custom shop from what I've read - although no personal experience to quantify that.
I'll take a look at the videos. I just tend to worry about losing something small. Where I live I don't really have a good work room.

I've heard the same about PRP being very good though. My question would be if it would void the warranty at all?

Lastly, I find the trigger to be pretty decent as is, not nearly in the same ballpark as my M&P and the APEX kit. I'd probably have to try it or something to believe it could get that much better.
Old April 3, 2012, 02:49 PM   #8
Uncle Malice

PRP Kit Results

I hear ya about the work space. The sear spring can be a little bugger, but in the video they show to just cover the frame with your palm as you slide that pin out and everything drops right down the mag well.

If you ever want to do it and have any questions, feel free to hit me up. I'm happy to answer any questions. I've done 3 of them now.
Old April 3, 2012, 10:59 PM   #9
osageid

We put trijicon sights on my sons 9 XDm
Does this help TR?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1333511653.566104.jpg (79.8 KB, 45 views)
Old April 3, 2012, 11:09 PM   #10
TunnelRat

Quote:
We put trijicon sights on my sons 9 XDm
Does this help TR?
It does. Do you know what model they were?
Old April 4, 2012, 12:11 AM   #11
osageid

Front XDm 6003
Rear xdm6004

We sent it in to custom shop also had XD custom upgrade which included sights and custom combat action job that polished internals and match trigger
Old April 4, 2012, 01:03 AM   #12
mongo356

I replaced the sights on a XDm with Ameriglo sights for a Sig. I used tha hammer & vice method....The sights on the xd can be a pain, just my mileage but with the cost of night sights I would send it to someone or buy the sight tool for an XDm.

Just my .02ยข