The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 25, 2012, 08:20 AM   #576
rodfac

Geez Hammer...I've enjoyed your pics and commentary over the years...get me in the will please...you've got some great guns...and that, my friend, is one fine target...I've got a 16-4 with a 4" bbl that I've considered reboring to the longer .327 Federal round...who did the work for you..reboring the cylinder that is? Nice post> Rodfac
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 25, 2012, 08:36 AM   #577
Hammer It

Quote:
Hey you dang sniper, that's Goschinski's Fin, Feather & Fur in Ashland, Ohio, and that's my store! Well, 'bout 65 miles from me, it's where I get all my powder, all my rimfire and it's where I get all my .312" Hornady XTP slugs
!

Hello Seven's
My bad on the stores actual name, but once I hit the basement and saw the boat load of Hornady XTP's they had in stock I cleaned them out as I had the store clerk check and he brought out the balance of them they had in the store room.... We ate at the Perkins next to it and stopped off at grandpa's cheese Barn for a load of Great cheese before carrying on with our trip, Glad I did not have to hit a scale check with all the extra lead I had purchased on the trip I surely would have been over loaded....
Old January 25, 2012, 03:36 PM   #578
mightyoakwildlife

Looong Time Readin'

(Woof!)

I've just spent the last two afternoons reading through the full twenty-four-plus pages of this entire thread! My wife now has confirmed my dedication to insanity, but it's justifiable. I have arrived at a final decision.

As a satisfied owner of an SP101 in it's .357/3" guise, ALL of you folks (including the nay-sayers) have justified my NEED for an almost identical companion piece, chambered in .327!

My only anticipated dislike is that crude looking rear sight. Any idea if I can remove enough metal to install a "proper" adjustable sight? If not, I'd even be likely to settle for a drift-adjustable dovetail version. Obviously, since I don't have one yet, I'm not so sure the factory offering will suit me. Any guesses?
Old January 25, 2012, 04:25 PM   #579
Sevens

Quote:
My only anticipated dislike is that crude looking rear sight. Any idea if I can remove enough metal to install a "proper" adjustable sight? If not, I'd even be likely to settle for a drift-adjustable dovetail version. Obviously, since I don't have one yet, I'm not so sure the factory offering will suit me. Any guesses?
I think you'd be talking about some real metal-munching to do that. Possible? I am not the guy to ask!

Have you considered the GP-100? Better rear sight, more barrel, more shots. Not a concealed carry gun, of course. But this round l-o-v-e-s barrel length and it builds horsepower with every half inch you give it.
Old January 25, 2012, 11:11 PM   #580
mightyoakwildlife

SP101 vs. GP100

Yup, I've given it quite a bit of thought. That's been my only stumbling block over the last couple days.

A few years back, I had the KGP161, and it was one of the more accurate out of the box .357s I've ever owned. Because of it's weight and overall length, I rarely carried it. I generally favor +/- 4" barrels on my revolvers. The six-incher was too inconvenient for in/out of the truck, etc. Rarely used, I sold it for the same money I paid.

My wife has recently re-discovered her fondness for shooting, but she leans more toward the 25 to 30 ounce weight revolvers.

As I was reading through this thread yesterday, I kept an open tab with Ruger's Spec. Sheet for the SP. Frequently tabbing back to it in an effort to make-up my mind, she asked if I was afraid she might steal "the .38" from me, for good. When I told her that I was looking at another one, in a smaller caliber that could also fire a beefier round for defense, I got a smile and a nice hot cup of tea.

This afternoon when she got home from work, I told my bride that I've decided to buy one. She told me that I might just get to keep the .357, if the "new one" can be loaded down just a bit more mildly than the .38s.

Could be that she'll find no fault with the factory rear sight. Time will tell. Now, the search begins....
Old January 26, 2012, 07:52 AM   #581
Hammer It

Quote:
Geez Hammer...I've enjoyed your pics and commentary over the years...get me in the will please...you've got some great guns...and that, my friend, is one fine target...I've got a 16-4 with a 4" bbl that I've considered reboring to the longer .327 Federal round...who did the work for you..reboring the cylinder that is? Nice post> Rodfac

Hello Rodfac
The caliber conversion was done here in East Tennessee by Hamilton Bowen. The cost was $95.00 and all he need's is the cylinder and crane assembly to perform it... Hammer It
Old January 26, 2012, 11:27 AM   #582
aarondhgraham

Is this the longest thread ever?,,, I can fix it!

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 26, 2012, 01:09 PM   #583
Sevens

People make fun of this thread... but this thread is the friendlies thread to TFL Forums, maybe ever.

There's not a lot of interest in .327 Federal, we all know that. Compared to 9mm or .45, it's very very small.

It's pretty cool that we keep almost ALL of the current chatter all in this one tidy place. Sure, it's 15 pages (well, I don't know where your settings are at, it's 15 for me) but it's all right here.

Unlike "Glock", "1911", "foty cal", it's not every 3rd or 4th thread, it's not a new thread on the same topic that's hardly different than the last one.

This is exactly how it should be for something with as (comparatively) little traffic as the .327.

I like this thread!
Old January 26, 2012, 01:32 PM   #584
aarondhgraham

'twas an Homage,,,

Quote:
People make fun of this thread...
I actually meant my post to be an "homage",,,
23 pages and still going strong.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 26, 2012, 02:40 PM   #585
Mr.Bluster

If worse came to worse ... could I rebore the barrel of my SP101 .327 to .357 and swap in a new cylinder? (Altho I see that Clearwater reboring claims Ruger SS revolver barrels are a bitch to rebore.)
Old January 26, 2012, 05:44 PM   #586
amamnn

It is a cartridge invented to fill but one or two needs. The need to sell more and different ammo by Federal and revolvers by Ruger. It does nothing for anyone else.
Old January 26, 2012, 06:37 PM   #587
L2R

amazing

Quote:
It is a cartridge invented to fill but one or two needs. The need to sell more and different ammo by Federal and revolvers by Ruger. It does nothing for anyone else.

Simply amazing that someone can reach thru the internet and know my mind and shoot my gun.

I just can't figure that with this ability why someone would waste time here.
I would be winning the lottery and healing the sick.
Old January 27, 2012, 01:09 PM   #588
Sulaco2

.327 vs. .357

Ya know the arguments put forth on this one are nearly word for word (minus caliber of course) the same debate as my .450 Marlin vs. .45-70. Who would a thunk it?
Old January 27, 2012, 02:58 PM   #589
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Ya know the arguments put forth on this one are nearly word for word (minus caliber of course) the same debate as my .450 Marlin vs. .45-70. Who would a thunk it?
Nah. The .450 vs .45-70 debate doesn't include a difference in bore size.
It's more of a "classic vs modern" debate; where the .327 vs .357 debate seems to be more about penis size, caliber, chamber pressure, and bullet weight.
Old January 29, 2012, 09:15 PM   #590
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
People make fun of this thread... but this thread is the friendlies thread to TFL Forums, maybe ever.
You're all a bunch of blissanninies, and I...oh. Sorry. Typo. The keys are, like, right next to each other.

This is a great thread. Or rather, it was, until HammerIt showed up with his Model 16. I may blow a good chunk of change tracking one down and doing the conversion. Geez, thanks...
Old January 30, 2012, 09:00 AM   #591
Hammer It

Quote:
This is a great thread. Or rather, it was, until HammerIt showed up with his Model 16. I may blow a good chunk of change tracking one down and doing the conversion. Geez, thanks...
Hello Tom
I Like being the main Topic in heated Marital Bliss arguements... The Key is making the wife understand once you are gone, These fine S&W classics will bring her Ton's of $$$$$$$....

Old January 30, 2012, 11:27 AM   #592
Glenn E. Meyer

This thread so motivated me that yesterday, I carried my 632 and my 432 as a bug. They are nice guns. That comp'ed 632 in SS is very pretty.
Old January 30, 2012, 12:07 PM   #593
Tom Servo
Staff

Yep, but I want a 6-shot K-Frame. Hammer It isn't helping. What he doesn't realize is that I'm single, so I've got nobody to tell me "we can't afford that."

While .327 may fall to the wayside to some extent, I'd still have a nice target gun for my .32 Long loads.
Old January 30, 2012, 12:52 PM   #594
Hammer It

Quote:
Yep, but I want a 6-shot K-Frame. Hammer It isn't helping. What he doesn't realize is that I'm single, so I've got nobody to tell me "we can't afford that."

While .327 may fall to the wayside to some extent, I'd still have a nice target gun for my .32 Long loads
Hello Tom
Well, Then here is one all you need to do is call the dealer that has it slide the Plastic and Four day's later it will be in your FFL Guys hands. These also fire .32 S&W, .32 H&R Magnum and .32 S&W Long, so once they are converted to fire the Federal .327 Magnum cartridge you have a Four Cartridge gun all in One... Get Ya One... Hammer It

http://www.gunsinternational.com/SMI...n_id=100221777
Old January 30, 2012, 02:28 PM   #595
heyjoe

i want one now also. im going to have to stop looking at this thread. Out of the 4 inch barrel the .327 100 gr american eagle jsp is doing 1604 fps 571 fpe.
I already have a number of 32 H&R and 32 S&W Long as well as the 632-2 .327 and a top break 32 S&W.
Old January 30, 2012, 03:00 PM   #596
TheWanderingRed

Sorry if this is a repost, but I think that the .327 mag and the LCR are a match made in heaven. Six shots of hotter ammo. Two options for lower pressure training rounds. Less felt recoil.
Just a question from an ignorant n00b but could they use the polymer frame LCR or would they have to use the steel like the .357?
Old January 30, 2012, 05:46 PM   #597
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Just a question from an ignorant n00b but could they use the polymer frame LCR or would they have to use the steel like the .357?
They make an LCR in .357, so I don't see why not.
Old January 30, 2012, 06:05 PM   #598
Glenn E. Meyer

They better not make one - because then I would want to buy one. Would I then keep my 432 - it's only 32 HR Mag?

Sigh.
Old January 31, 2012, 04:58 AM   #599
iron maiden

I hope it doesn't die?!?

I've got all 3 of the Rugers in 327Mag....Blackhawk, GP100, SP101.

They're all well made guns, but I won't need to go into the fact that Rugers are well built guns.

For me, the process of getting a 327 came about purely by accident. A couple of years ago, I was at the gun shop and I saw a nice looking Blackhawk. When the clerk told me it was chambered in 327, I almost put it down. But he showed me the amount of ammo they had on stock, and offered me a good price on it with a few boxes of discounted ammo.

I'm so glad I bought it. That cartridge is fast! Recoil is mild, and you can put more rounds in it than in a similar sized 357.

Sometimes, my gun shop is out of ammo, and other times, they're overflowing with it. Similar to everything else, I guess. I've been the deciding factor for at least two other men who bought them based upon my recommendations. One man wanted a gun for his wife (SP101) and another man wanted a nice single action bigger than a Single Six that wasn't going to kick all that much, and he ended up with a Blackhawk.

I can't think it will ever die. My guess is that it'll be like the 41Mag....a nice cartridge with a devoted following which remains under appreciated by the majority of shooters.
Old January 31, 2012, 10:57 AM   #600
gak

Glenn E. Meyer said
" They better not make one - because then I would want to buy one. Would I then keep my 432 - it's only 32 HR Mag? Sigh."

Glenn, I think the little 432 will still have its place. Its Airweight J frame format is the ultimate go-everywhere cargo pocket CC/BUG and excels for the round in.a format I'm not too sure I'd want to fire a .327 out of anyway. There's a reason S&W is focusing on steel (stainless) for its J .327s. I too see a .327 (or two or...) in my future in the form of a 632, SP101 and/or converted Single Six. Nevertheless, I think an LCR would be a no brainer for Ruger and something that I've gotta believe is in the chute.