Old November 30, 2008, 12:21 PM   #1
Warren Porter

did troopers with 45-70 Spring field use their 45 LC ammo in their carbines

Did troopers use 45 CL ammo in their Springfield 45-70 when ammo was short
Old November 30, 2008, 12:53 PM   #2
OldMarksman
Staff

NO.

The rim and case diameters of the Colt round are smaller than those of the .45-70. Extraction and blow-back would present problems even of the round would headspace in a particular rifle.

They used a carbine load with less recoil than the Springfield rifle load.
Old December 1, 2008, 07:20 PM   #3
roklok

I actually read that at the Battle of the Little Big Horn this very thing was done. In the days after the battle, split and bulged 45 Colt casings were found from firing them in the Springfields. If I recall, this information was from a National Geographic feature on the battle.
Old December 1, 2008, 08:27 PM   #4
kraigwy

Short answer, NO, not even close. Of course in combat, under panic situations I've seen some wierd stuff cramed in chambers, that dosnt mean they will work.

Its not just in combat. I was running sniper schools for the NG and Army. The army was using M21s and some of the NG units were still using M1Cs&Ds. Some of the idiots fired 7.62 in the garands. The garands exstractor would hold the case and they would fire, Brass lookedl like a beltless 458 Win. Had to put a special ammo gun on orders to keep that crap from happening.

You want light 45-70s load them light, but use 45-70 brass, same with all friearms. USE THE PROPER CALIBER.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 1, 2008, 09:17 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Did they? I don't know, but they could have, for at least one shot. The .45 Colt will be supported on the edge of the .45-70 chamber enough to fire, even though the case will bulge and stick in the chamber and the extractor won't catch the rim. The case could probably have been pried out of the chamber with a knife, as was done with rifle cases when the extractor cut through the rim.

NOTE: I don't suggest doing this. Like any other use of the wrong ammunition in a firearm, there is potential danger involved.

Jim
Old December 1, 2008, 09:36 PM   #6
Swampghost

Don't take me to the bank on this one but Dad told me that .410 2-1/2" shells could be fired from the 45-70.