The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 22, 2004, 07:57 PM   #1
GunnFixr

Considering a Nova...

I need to reevaluate the manner in which I defend my home.

I'm a part time Dad, my son lives with his Monster, er, I mean his Mother, so having guns about the house was never an issue. I no qualms about leaving loaded weapons wherever. I kept my carry gun on my nightstand when it wasn't on my hip.

My girlfriend and I recently got an apartment together (yes, we are living in sin). She has two small boys who have yet to reach the shooting age (two and three). I can't just leave my pistol on the night stand anymore. I've been sleeping with one on the nightstand at night but putting it in the gun locker before going to work in the morning (my carry gun and duty guns are not the same). This is a pain in the butt, and is sometimes over looked when I am running late. I want to procure a shotgun that I can leave mounted to the wall above the top shelf of my walk in closet in my bedroom. This would be a loaded weapon, easily accessible by me, but out of reach of the crumb snatchers.

I want a pump for many reasons, that don't need to be delved into, as they have been hashed, rehashed, and hashed over some more before being given a final mulling.

Presently, I do not own a shotgun, but in the past, I have owned a Mossy 500 & a 590A1 as well as an 870 Remmy. I've been looking over the Novas recently. When they first came out, I thought that they were ugly, and left them alone. Now I'm giving it another pass. I like it's light weight, it lends itself to being handy. What concerns me is the plymer reciever/stock. Yes, I own Polymer pistols, but this is a shotgun, and that is a lot of plastic.

Anyway, enough babbling. Has anyone had any issues with the Nova with regard to reliability or durability? Are their any other reasons why I should give this gun a pass?

Everyone keep your hands where I can see them.
Old July 23, 2004, 08:17 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Reliability and durability of the Novas is still a mystery, these are too new to establish much of a record. Chances are they're fine shotguns. The owners of same are happy with them, at least for now.

Biggest prob I can foresee with them is the plastic stock. If the dimensions do not fit you, you're SOL. Wood stocks are much easier to modify.

Other probs include the forearm rattle and heavy, nasty triggers. Both are correctable, I hear.

When the little McCs were much younger, I kept my HD870 Cruiser Ready and over a closet door on the inside of the closet. Worked for me, but Ms. McC doesn't do shotguns.

HTH...
Old July 23, 2004, 10:40 AM   #3
steveno

it is one UGLY shotgun
Old July 23, 2004, 02:03 PM   #4
KIMBERCOMP

Nova

I am looking at the Nova Tactical also. The local gun shop has the Winchester , Nova and Mossberg all for $299.00. I am going to do more research as I have read pro's and con's of all three brands. The Nova has very few accessories if you want to add anything on compared to the other two. I am leaning towards the Winchester but I am taking my time as I do with all of my gun purchases. Try going to the Shotgun World web site and read some of the forum topics. I want to be responsible for my own choice of self defense weapons.
Old July 23, 2004, 05:20 PM   #5
rick_reno

I have a Nova and a 870 with the 18.5 inch barrel. I like the Nova, I put a mecury recoil reduction stick in the stock which makes it balance nicely - and when shooting 3.5 inch loads it does seem to reduce the felt recoil. The rattle in the fore end drives me nuts, if someone knows how to get rid of it please post the solution here.
Old July 23, 2004, 08:59 PM   #6
mete

Though relatively new the Nova has already acheived an excellent reputation.....Out of reach of two and three year olds ?? Neal Knox wrote an excellent article once detailing how his then two year old ,who had never touched a gun was able to get a revolver from the top shelf of a closet and load it !!! Never underestimate the curiosity, intelligence and physical abilities of small children !...It's safe only when it's locked up and only you have a key which you carry all the time .
Old July 24, 2004, 06:49 AM   #7
SquirrelMan

I used to think the Nova was ugly, but it has grown on me a little.
I have owned quite a few firearms in my life, and every one of them, I have come to TFL and searched for posts on them. You should do that with this shotgun.
But, off the top of my head, I can't remember ever ever ever hearing anything bad about the Nova besides how ugly it is.

-SM
Old August 11, 2004, 09:09 PM   #8
dZ

i think the rattle is cureable by sticking a pad of loop velcro on the lower tube
Old August 28, 2004, 11:30 PM   #9
Drundel

While the Nova is new, i know a lot of hardcore waterfowl hunters who have put the gun through a lot. They are only about 5 years into production, but mines doing fine. I've shot more 3.5 mag goose loads that do more damage to the gun than low re-coil buckshot will EVER do. Fine so far.

Dave McC is right on one thing though, if it doesn't fit you, you're pretty much SOL.

Texas A&M University
Proud member of the Fighting Class of '00