The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 18, 2007, 09:35 PM   #1
tarheellefty

cost / quality of linotype

Hi guys . I'm not set up to cast bullets (yet ) but by nature cannot pass up a deal . But i don't know if this is a deal or not . I met as guy who has about #170 pounds of linotype in his garage (still in that form - not melted to ingots ) and has offered it to me for $ 75 . Is that a good price ? is that something goood to use for casting bullets ? I think his spouse wants it gone ; he may / may not move off that price . But I don't believein beating someone up over a few $ ; I'd pay it if it's a " good " deal .I have plenty of powder and primers ; I may sleep better after the election if I had some lead in the garage too...
Any info / opinions appreciated .....
TIA
Old September 18, 2007, 09:41 PM   #2
crowbeaner

The last time I bought any lino was about 10 years ago and I paid $0.25 a lb. for it. Prices are WAY up, and if it is clean and still in strips it's well worth the $75. I'd offer him $50 and a sixer of his favorite poison. He may ask you to join him. Just my $0.02. CB.
Old September 18, 2007, 11:56 PM   #3
snuffy

http://cgi.ebay.com/LINOTYPE-LEAD-20...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/LINOTYPE-METAL-2...QQcmdZViewItem

I could go on, but you get the idea. It's going for AT LEAST a buck a pound! Grab it before he finds out how much it's REALLY worth!

Yes it is good for boolits, but it should be mixed with softer lead for handguns.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 19, 2007, 01:42 AM   #4
BillCA

Probably a good deal if you want to make hard cast bullets or even just cast your own that aren't dead soft lead.

Remember that you'll be using less linotype than lead to cast bullets. If you were casting very hard 230gr .45ACP bullets, you'd have enough linotype for (roughly) 25,000 bullets. I'd say that's worth $75.
Old September 19, 2007, 07:27 AM   #5
rwilson452

When I cast and have linotype available I mix 1 pound of linotype to 10 pounds of wheelweight lead. Works for me but YMMV.