The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 23, 2009, 01:41 PM   #1
Kevinj

Lost paperwork

Before I contact my local ATF branch office I would like to know if anyone has experienced lost paperwork on a NFA item.

I know this sounds odd, but I was divorced 22 years ago. I keep my NFA items in a small safe that has moved with me several times. My son and step children are now older so I decided to start using those items again. When I openned the safe I realized I had photo copies of the forms for 3 of the 4 items and I can not find the originals anywhere - I tore the house apart looking for the one missing copy. I was a class III dealer when I acquired these pieces. My ex-wife thinks she tossed them out years ago.

Anyway, I am about to contact ATF NFA branch to ask for replacement documents. Has anyone had experience with getting copies?
Old March 23, 2009, 02:27 PM   #2
Wiskey_33

Quote:
Section 3.5 Lost or stolen registration documents. A person possessing a firearm registered as required by the NFA must retain proof of registration, that is, the registration form showing registration of the firearm to the person, which must be made available to ATF upon request.53 If a registrant discovers that a Form 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6A, or 10 is stolen, lost or destroyed, the registrant must immediately report the theft, loss, or destruction in writing to the NFA Branch.54 The report must contain the details of the situation. ATF will issue a duplicate copy of the registration document as the circumstances warrant.
Here
Old March 23, 2009, 03:14 PM   #3
Kevinj

Thanks, I also found that on the ATF website - I was just wondering if anyone had personal experience with this. It seems not everyone has had possitive experiences with examiners, I was just wondering how the records division is to work with.

Thanks.
Old March 23, 2009, 03:34 PM   #4
Michael A. Le Lack

Lost

If you were a class 3 dealer at one time you should know how it is to deal with BATF! I found that it depends witch(not mis-spelled) shows up at the door a few are OK, most are not.
Old March 23, 2009, 03:47 PM   #5
Kevinj

Long time ago

I gave up my class III in 1986 when the gestapo (Bush 1) signed the Infamous 1986 law.

Actually the 2 ATF agents in my territory at the time were very kind and sympathetic to gun owners and dealers. Never had a problem. So for the last 23 years I have not had any dealings with them.
Old March 23, 2009, 04:45 PM   #6
aroundlsu

Someone on silencertalk had a form replaced. They send you a very poor quality black and white xerox after about 6 months. YMMV

I scan all my forms and upload them to my gmail. In the event anything is lost or destroyed they can always be retrieved from gmail (assuming gmail will be around forever).

Just curious, these are weapons you had transferred to you on a Form 4 right? Or are they still on a Form 3?