The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old April 21, 2006, 10:49 AM   #26
Edward429451

Isn't drawing down on the guy warning enough? Even if he no speaks de english he'll be warned. for a second or so at least.

Had you drawn your weapon already when he approached you?
Old April 21, 2006, 11:10 AM   #27
Glenn E. Meyer

Yep, in the exercise, you entered your living room and find three guys. I had drawn and challenged. Two complied and one walked towards me slowly smiling and saying he didn't speak English.

The instructors are seeing if you could think on your feet and respond when the opponent doesn't act in a cliched fashion to your manliness.

After a couple of challenges, I shot him. I might have backed out of the living room and fled but I chose not to. Backing up is bad.

It was kind of a slow-mo Tueller drill. Makes you think.
Old April 21, 2006, 11:40 AM   #28
Trip20

My unqualified opinion...

Rather than a blank serving as a warning (also serving as a complete disregard for the K.I.S.S. principle); if you really want to warn an intruder in hopes of avoiding a deadly encounter, why not simply call out and advise that you will defend your home and family with deadly force if they do not cease, desist and leave immediately? Probably not a bad idea to mention the cops are on their way (which they should be).

At least this way you've in no way compromised your ability to defend your home and family (i.e., by employing useless blanks), and at the same time you can rest easy knowing you've tried your hardest to scare the intruder away so that you don't have *possibly* to end his/her life.

Being discovered will most likely scare a majority of intruders away -- my opinion, not fact. It is also not something I'm willing to gamble on, so I find it best to have a firearm ready to defend if this does not work. Having a firearm only capable of making noise, does not fit the "defend" criteria.

Nothing wrong with trying to avoid killing people; it's a refreshing point of view, actually... but there is something wrong with accepting a disadvantage or otherwise compromising your ability to defend, in order to avoid killing someone. All is fair in love and war. If someone brings war to your doorstep, you must be prepared to battle. If someone brings you love, well, then load your blanks and celebrate.
Old April 21, 2006, 11:46 AM   #29
sparkysteve

I think I might opt for a short stick. I hope I never have to kill anyone, but if it comes down to kill or be killed, I'll be the one walking away.

Dont tread on me.
Old April 21, 2006, 11:52 AM   #30
samoand

yes, it might work

Other thing that might work are pointing a pen at them and screaming <KABOO-OM>, barking to immitate a rotweiler, and using a mime axe.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old April 21, 2006, 12:33 PM   #31
tjhands

If you haven't yet received enough opinions, I'll offer mine: extremely naive, ignorant, and potentially deadly idea/practice.
Old April 21, 2006, 12:34 PM   #32
ATW525

Quote:
The best one is when one of the burglars decided that he would take a leak on your living room couch while you were yelling tough guy crap at them.
Not to hijack the thread, but I have to wonder what the response is for that one... lol

Anyways, I think it's pretty much unanimous that blanks for self defense is not the best of ideas.
Old April 21, 2006, 12:43 PM   #33
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Anyways, I think it's pretty much unanimous that blanks for self defense is not the best of ideas.
Agreed.

Question asked and answered, with far too much use of the word "ignorant".

Closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread